Import Mail. Entourage > Mail App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aperture, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Hi. I am getting tired of using Microsoft Entourage for my POP3 email, and I want to move over to the Mail app. Is there a way in Entourage to export all my mail into a format that Mail can import all of my old/existing emails?

Thanks, Kevin

2. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

I just realized I can import directly into Mail by going to File > Import. Then I just hit "Import From Entourage" and I am all set. Mods, the thread can be deleted.

Thanks, Kevin

3. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, is Apple's mail app better than Entourage? I use Entourage all the time, but is Apple's Mail inherently easier or is it just personal preference? If you have Office, why not use Entourage?

4. hypermaster macrumors newbie

i am also moving from entourage to mail.spp on my recently upgraded LEOPARD Mac Book.

the problem is that i can only move the mails, not the rules & mailbox's..
    i have to individually setup each mailbox..

is there a way to do this without going thru thr process of setting up each one again?

Also what about the rules??

5. paredi67 macrumors newbie

mail rules

I have the same problem importing from One compter to another within MAIL
    Can someone tell me how to import the rules (from Tiger to Leopard ?)
    Thanks

6. eyeline macrumors newbie

entourage -v- mail

I have recently made the giant leap from PC to MAC (MacBook Pro) and have addressed the issue to importing mail from Outlook....the long way around though. Parallels does a complete PC migrate including Windows, should you need to have access to Windows for any reason. Anyway, just been into the Apple Store in Birmingham, and a very helpful bloke in there showed me why Mail is much better than Entourage.....essentially it integrates with iCal/Address Book and your iPhone far more intuitively than Entourage does (I am also currently using Entourage but am about to merge everything over to Mail). I have been blown away by the Mac's capabilities from my own tinkering, but when someone who REALLY knows what they are doing shows you...well what can I say.....the TV advert should say "I WAS a PC, but now I'm converted".

7. jb001 macrumors newbie

delete entourage mailbox

Hi,
    I'm also moving from Entourage to Mail (for reasons that Mail seems to do so much more and interacts with iCal, Contacts and iPhone so much easier - and I bought a Mac for ease of use over Microsoft). However, I can't find the mail database to delete in Entourage. I have over a gig and by importing it into Mail it seems redundant to have two mail files so big. Does anyone know how to get rid of the Entourage one? Thanks!

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/

9. jb001 macrumors newbie

Thanks MisterMe. Do I blow away the whole folder? I still use MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint so I don't want to delete anything and then not be able to use them. Thanks again.

10. jb001 macrumors newbie

For those wanting to import their Entourage into Mail, it may take you to break up some big folders. I found I could only really import 1500 mails at a time before it stopped. Seems I'm not the only one (http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10233129) it was a bit tedious but in the end it was fine and is now working well. For those wanting to blow away their Entourage mailbox to create some space, I deleted everything I wanted to out of Entourage then compacted the database because deleting the mails doesn't delete them from the database. I found it redundant to have two mailboxes when I'm now using Mail. So I followed this to compact the database and then deleted the backup that it creates as everything is now in Mail. http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10233129