Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Does somebody have a clue if you can import a mail from Mail or Outlook mail into your own app?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If you get the credentials, then you can access the same servers that they do. Mail and Outlook are just client apps - they don't produce their own content, they just ask the server for it.

Without the credentials, no.

(Of course, you'll need to know the protocol and stuff too. MailCore is a library you can use which handles POP and IMAP. That covers most servers. Exchange is another common one. IBM Notes is a less common one. I'm sure there are many other less common ones.)

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
If you get the credentials, then you can access the same servers that they do. Mail and Outlook are just client apps - they don't produce their own content, they just ask the server for it.

Without the credentials, no.

(Of course, you'll need to know the protocol and stuff too. MailCore is a library you can use which handles POP and IMAP. That covers most servers. Exchange is another common one. IBM Notes is a less common one. I'm sure there are many other less common ones.)
In that case I would of course be downloading all the mails. I only want to export some mails from mail or Exchange and import them into my app? Is this feasible?

By the way when you talk about credentials. I suppose only large companies get access to the servers of Microsoft and apple?

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Does somebody have a clue if you can import a mail from Mail or Outlook mail into your own app?
I love your posts man but you realllllly need to use Google for some of these questions lol, no offense intended.

You can't import mail directly from another app as far as I'm aware of, however you could build an app that is compliant with the IMAP & POP email standards and get the mail directly from the mail servers. It would be quite an undertaking though.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
By the way when you talk about credentials. I suppose only large companies get access to the servers of Microsoft and apple?

No. You need the username, password, protocol, port number, and address for the server. The size of the organization has nothing to do with whether you can access it or not. You'll definitely need to ask the user for their username, password, and who the mall provider is. You can probably just have a database with the protocols, port numbers, and addresses of the most common mail providers (gmail, iCloud, yahoo, etc).

If you go into Settings > Mail > (pick a mail account) and dig around, you can find all of the above info... At least for some account types. I couldn't find the info for my iCloud account. Apple probably just hard coded the port number and address and protocol so that you can't break the account by changing those settings.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
No. You need the username, password, protocol, port number, and address for the server. The size of the organization has nothing to do with whether you can access it or not. You'll definitely need to ask the user for their username, password, and who the mall provider is. You can probably just have a database with the protocols, port numbers, and addresses of the most common mail providers (gmail, iCloud, yahoo, etc).

If you go into Settings > Mail > (pick a mail account) and dig around, you can find all of the above info... At least for some account types. I couldn't find the info for my iCloud account. Apple probably just hard coded the port number and address and protocol so that you can't break the account by changing those settings.
Oh this is great. So basically you could go through all the mails on the imap server and import the mails from a certain person?
[doublepost=1454939827][/doublepost]
I love your posts man but you realllllly need to use Google for some of these questions lol, no offense intended.

You can't import mail directly from another app as far as I'm aware of, however you could build an app that is compliant with the IMAP & POP email standards and get the mail directly from the mail servers. It would be quite an undertaking though.
lol the worst part is that I usually post these questions after having looked at google for an hour or so. I guess I must be the worst googler in the world ever born =D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.