Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
Hey,

I have a question, can I import my .MKV movies with subtitles into iTunes?

At this time I got them loaded in Plex, but it would be nicer if I could put these movies into iTunes because then I got the ability to stream it from iTunes library to my Apple TV (without having to mirror it).

Thanks!

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
No, iTunes doesn't support MKVs. You'd have to use a program such as Handbrake to convert them into an iTunes-compatible format.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
No, iTunes doesn't support MKVs. You'd have to use a program such as Handbrake to convert them into an iTunes-compatible format.

Hmm, I don't have the energy to handbrake all my movies, so I'm fine with Plex.
Can't wait when I can jailbreak my ATV3, so I can install the Plex application also there! :)

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
I've read online I could try iFlicks for adding movies to my iTunes library. I'll think I'm going to try that. :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If the MKV file contains H.264 video and a sound format supported by iTunes then you should be able to remux it - I think this is what iFlicks does. If the actual sound and video are in unsupported formats then you'd need to use Handbrake or similar to recompress it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.