Import with iMovie edit with FCE?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Josephkyles, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    I've been trying to edit this video all morning long but I keep getting a dropped frames error and I have to start all over!!! I did try to keep importing but then when I was done only the part after I got the error showed in my browser! Does anyone recommend importing video using iMovie then exporting to FCE?? I've never had any problem importing video into iMovie. I read somewhere that I was getting these errors because I was multitasking, but in iMovie I multi task all the time while importing video. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  2. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    I really don't recommend multi-tasking with Final Cut importing.. also check your preferences and uncheck "Stop capture on dropped frames"
  3. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Ahhh. Thank you! So why is FCE so sensitive to multitasking?! especially since iMovie is not?
  4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    Don't go the iMovie way!

I am not sure if it makes sense to uncheck the box. You might get problems with audio and vidio sync.
  5. huntercr macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2006
    Despite some of the more paranoid answers her, you can import with imovie just fine and export back out to dv files to be loaded into FCE. There will not be an audio sync problem if you have the lastest verison of FCE 2 or FCE HD. What you will have is one very annoying thing though... you will not get realtime audio. Forwhatever reason, FCE ( and FCP ) does not allow realtime playback of audio in the imovie captured format. I didn't even know this was possible to have alternate audio formats in a dv file, but it is, and FCE doens't like imovie's!

Believe me this can get hugely annoying if you have a large project, becuase *any* audio filtering will cause you to have to rerender.

That said, for whatever reason, imovie's capture method is still better then FCE's. Go figure.