IMPORTANT...g4 to g5 carbon copy clone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PCM, May 6, 2005.

1. PCM macrumors regular

HI all,

Important question, I'm taking delivery of a dual 2.5 g5 soon, and would like to carbon copy clone my powerbooks disc onto the g5 (powerbook is running OS 10.3.7). This g5 is last years model, so I believe 10.3.7 has liquid cooling support, so here goes...

If I CCC my powerbook's OS onto my FW800 and then boot the g5 off the external drive, will it boot? What I'm planning to do is CCC the OS, boot from it on the g5 (externally), do a software update (to 10.3.9) and then CCC from the FW drive to the g5 SATA internal.

I wanted to do it this way so I don't have to wipe the g5 with the new OS from the powerbook (espeically if it won't work) and can safely upgrade it while only putting my FW drive at risk.

Will it work????? If not any other ideas???? I have TONS of authorizations that I would not like to go through again (plugins, software, etc.). I will not upgrading to Tiger at this point as Pro TOols support is not expected for 8-10 weeks.

Thanks in advance....

2. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

won't the G5 come with the setup assitant that will let you move stuff from your powerbook to the G5 right off the bat? wouldnt that just be easier?

4. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

yes it does come with that, but you still have to reinstall many programs and plug ins. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

That should work fine, but I would recommend doing an Archive and Install with the G5 software at some point, just in case you miss some 64-bit extensions.

6. PCM thread starter macrumors regular