important info about water

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Jan 30, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

This is some important information about water I found online over the summer. I may have gotten a job at Medical Center, but nothing was promiced. One of the things I want to do is develop more access to water in the hospital and get better recycling programs in there. Maybe I cannont change the society but I can make more changes in the hospital, and do more work after graduation.

Not drinking enough water? Some statistics:

water website

HYDRATION FACTS

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. It is probable that similar percentages apply to 90% of the world population.

In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

Even mild dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

Research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%.It can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and reduce the risk of developing bladder cancer by 50%.

HYDRATION SURVEY

A significant number of Americans may be "drinking themselves to dehydration" by consuming too little water and too many beverages that rob the body of water, according to the results of a national consumer survey.

The survey of 3,003 Americans, conducted by Yankelovich Partners for the Nutrition Information Center at The New York Hospital - Cornell Medical Center and the International Bottled Water Association, reveals that America's glass is half empty.

The good news is that the average American drinks nearly eight daily servings of hydrating beverages, such as water, milk, juice and decaffeinated soft drinks. But that is undermined by the nearly five servings of caffeine- or alcohol-containing beverages that respondents report drinking each day. Scientific research shows that caffeine and alcohol act as diuretics, causing the body to lose water through increased urination.

"The net result is that most Americans are probably only getting about a third of the valuable hydration benefits they need," says Barbara Levine, R.D., Ph.D., Director of the Nutrition Information Center. "The vast majority aren't drinking enough water to begin with, and, to make matters worse, many don't realize that beverages containing alcohol and caffeine actually rob the body of water."

Awareness of Water Needs is High, but Compliance is Low

While two out of three survey respondents say they know that health and nutrition experts recommend drinking eight, eight-ounce servings of water a day, one in two admits to not getting enough. In fact, the survey shows that the average American only consumes 4.6 servings of water a day.

Indeed, only one in five meets the "eight a day" recommendation. More than double that amount (44 percent) drink three or fewer servings of water daily. And nearly one in 10 (9 percent) report drinking no water at all.

"It's troubling that so few Americans drink the recommended amount of water daily," notes Levine. "The consumption of water and other hydrating beverages is crucial for proper retention and use of the body's water in complex and intricate biochemical processes."

Water comprises more than 70 percent of solid tissue, such as muscle, in the human body. Besides oxygen, it is the most important nutrient in the body, functioning as a physiological "jack of all trades." Water has an important role in nearly every major function in the body, regulating body temperature, carrying nutrients and oxygen to cells, removing waste, cushioning joints and protecting organs and tissues.

It is not surprising, then, that those survey respondents who say they drink eight or more servings of water a day are less likely to report experiencing the symptoms of dehydration than those who drink three or fewer glasses of water daily. Low-volume water drinkers, for example, are more likely to report having dry, itchy skin or feeling tired and groggy when they wake up or at mid-day, two classic signs of dehydration.

Levine notes that longer-term, more severe dehydration presents more serious problems, dangerously affecting blood pressure, circulation, digestion, kidney function and nearly all body processes.

Survey Reveals Hydration 'Knowledge Gaps'

While survey respondents are widely aware of minor dehydration symptoms such as dry skin and headaches, they are less knowledgeable about the causes of dehydration. For example, one in five does not know that caffeine dehydrates -- a key finding, considering that Americans down 4.1 daily servings of coffee, caffeinated soda and tea.

Additionally, nearly half (47 percent) are unaware that the human body loses as much water when asleep as when awake, while more than a third (37 percent) do not know that the body needs as much water in cold weather as it does in warm weather.

One in 10 respondents say they wait until they are thirsty before drinking a beverage. They do not realize that thirst lags far behind the body's need for water and does not adequately signal the body's hydration needs.

The Nutrition Information Center is a component of the Clinical Nutrition Research Unit, The New York Hospital - Cornell Medical Center, Memorial Sloan - Kettering Cancer Center.

About the survey methodology: The findings are from a survey of 3,003 American adults, conducted by Yankelovich Partners for the Nutrition Information Center of The New York Hospital -- Cornell Medical Center and the International Bottled Water Association. Total sampling error: plus/minus 1.8%.

HYDRATION IN COLD & HEAT

According to nutritionists, the best way to fight the heat and the cold is to drink plenty of water. However, a survey by The Brita Products Company found that, even in the best of weather conditions, two out of three Americans drink fewer than the recommended 8 glasses of water a day. Read on for some interesting and important tips on keeping hydrated in the cold and heat.

Cold Weather Hydration
    In the winter, skiers don't always realize that drinking copious amounts of water will help them perform and feel better. A 1998 study conducted by the American College of Sports Medicine monitored skiers and compared a well-hydrated group (using back-mounted hydration packs) with a "no-water" group. The results showed how dehydration can dramatically affect a skier's day. The combination of drier air, high altitude and exercise can bring on effects of dehydration ranging from fatigue to frost bite. Although skiers are often tempted to drink hot beverages or alcohol, these only add to the effects of dehydration. Don't rely on thirst to be your guide. Drink water steadily over the course of the day, at least twelve 8-ounce glasses or more if you are and aggressive skier or snowboarder. A helpful method for hydration outdoors is a back-mounted hydration system, like the CamelBak.

Keeping Cool in the Heat
    When the weather heats up, remember to increase your water consumption. "High temperatures and humidity can cause serious health problems if people over exert themselves," says Susan Kleiner, Ph.D., R.D. "Dehydration is more common under these conditions. To help combat dehydration, I recommend drinking more than eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day during the summer."

-- Add two glasses a day to your 8-glass minimum. While 8 glasses daily is a good start, you should routinely drink more fluids during the summer. Increasing your minimum intake by a couple of glasses is good insurance. Keep in mind that heavy perspiration can cause you to lose 12, 14 or even 16 glasses a day.

-- Drink before you get thirsty. If you wait until you're thirsty, you're already slightly dehydrated. Thirst is an unreliable indicator of your hydration needs.

-- Have a "water plan." It is important to drink water at regular intervals throughout the day in order to keep your body's internal temperature down. Keep a full pitcher, glass or water bottle handy to remind yourself.

-- Don't over exert yourself during the heat wave. Even daily rituals may be too much during very hot weather. This may mean not going for a walk during the day or postponing outdoor chores such as gardening until after the heat wave.

-- Parents should monitor the fluid intake of infants and toddlers since they are unable to express thirst. Even older children will often not stop to take a drink until they are thirsty and need to be reminded to take "water breaks" on a regular basis, especially during hot weather.

-- Pregnant women need to drink more water. They need to accommodate the needs of the fetus and the fluid losses due to increased heat production and perspiration. Lactating women need to increase water intake to replace fluid lost through nursing.

-- Don't count beverages containing caffeine or alcohol toward your 8 glasses. Caffeine and alcohol dehydrate your body, so you need to compensate for them. Drink an extra glass of water for each cup of regular coffee or tea, and for each glass of an alcoholic beverage that you drink.

water website

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Water long post!

Some links would have sufficed... :)

Sometimes, it's hard to drink those supposed 2 litres a day.
    But when you do, your skin looks so much better after a day or two...

It can also make you feel really bloated.

Also, carrying around bottles of Evian or so can be a chore (the tap-water in London tastes a bit weird)...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well i might not drink enough water myself, i know, but im trying to change that, but i have eliminated soda and beer from my habits totally so now all i drink is water along with juices especially OJ and Applejuice so at least its a step in a healthy direction, but maybe i should step up that water intake..

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Plus the tap water in London has been through 8 people before you get to drink it... :eek:

Now, where did I put that case of Red Bull.... Taurine, mmmmmmmm :D

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Thanks, I am actually trying to drink lots more water, the main reason, I must confess, is to drop a lot of wieght. But my 3 daughters are big water drinkers and we encourage it, wish I could've taken my own advice the last 10 years! :(

6. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

when I was in the lab this summer I found that it helped to have a water bottel around with me, I had to go upstairs to get water, but having that botel made me drink a lot more water. You can get these cylender bottels that will help. I will try and fix the link but it is mostly there.

[​IMG]

EDIT: The link has been fixed.

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmm...

I'm a big water drinker... and I'm a small guy. I've been a heavy water drinker for the longest time. I've had stomach problems, and water helps regulate that, so I was kinda forced into drinking alot, but that's a good thing. :D

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah its hard to drink all u need to drink when your busy working and stuff

9. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

Yep, that's right. When I'm at the computer I always make sure there's a bottle of water with me, because I know that if it's there, I'll drink it.

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

no more beer???!?!?!?11ONE1?! :eek: :eek:

seriously, though, good job. lots of water is key. gotta love typical college gear of nalgenes. 1L each, so it's easy to get enough water. you go through them quickly when you have them with you all the time.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've started keeping a 1lt bottle next to me at work and I try to drink at least 3 liters a day while at work.

Lethal

12. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I was starting to read when noted the long post and suddenly released that it was from our good member "indifference" ;) gotcha! ... sorry man, but I'm really happy right now to read that water thing, maybe will do it later, but I have to add that I drink enough during the day, I do care about food balance, and related topics...

I thought once about you and your nick reminds me of:

-You know the relation between, "ignorance" and ""indifference""??

- I don't know and I don't care!

:D

;) (take it easy, it's just my mood today)

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I had a friend who hated drinking water. He would only drink soda or juices, never plain water. I have not seen him in a long time but I heard he's into drugs and living day-to-day now. Poor sap.

I drink 2 litres of water a day based on my weight. Drinking enough water reduces chances of cancer.

14. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I usually drink 8 20oz. bottles of water a day which is 20 cups of water or 4.75 liters.

I just carry a coke bottle or water bottle around with me and refill it all of the time.

I have noticed over the past couple of years that it gives me much more energy. The article also mentions that many people confuse thirst with hunger. Since i started drinking a lot of water, i snack far less.

15. brap macrumors 68000

Hm.

Perhaps there's something in it. I'm open to suggestions to cut down the amount of crap in my lifestyle - although an Englishman without tea... this could get ugly.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That could explain a lot :eek: :D :p

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Mate, don't even joke!

*rushes off to get another cuppa*

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My diet of champagne, grapefruit juice and strong coffee seems to keep me hydrated. ;)

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Being a nurse I have long realized the importance of water. Usually recommend 6 - 8 glasses of water a day. It helps top flush out waste products of metabolism and poisons from the blood via the kidneys. Helps to prevent illness. A glass of water after meals helps to aid digestion.

I remember working with kidney transplant patients. While in renal failure and dialysis, they can't afford to drink water. Then they get the kidney transplant, drinking plenty of fluids if critical for proper function of the new kidney. It was a big part of patient eduction and conversation to encourage water. Very visible for them with urine output and there blood work. Which we listed on a flow sheet in their room.

20. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, I've started drinking at least a bottle of water a day at work. It may not be enough, but it sure beats what I USED to drink (1 Dr. Pepper and NO water).

It was a personal decision combined with the generous availability of water at our office (the refrigerator is always stocked full with bottles for the employees). I went from one or two sodas a day to one or two a week, and I'm totally fine with that.

21. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

22. commonpeople macrumors regular

OK, well I've been studying the physics of water and chemisty as a scientist for nearly a decade now. That may not qualify me, but I have to say I'm fairly skeptical of the above statements! If it helps- I drink coffee all day long- and I can do basic math just fine thankyou!

23. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Water == overhyped???

We've been told to pump ourselves full of water for years. But wasn't it recently found that people have been drinking too much water?

Has anyone seen comedian Lewis Black's take on water? Hilarious...

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I'm skeptical as well. If 1 out of 10 people were NOT drinking water at all, they'd die. They're not replacing the water lost each day. Drinking "only" 5 or 6 litres of water is good enough to replace the fluid lost by the body each day, and compensated from foods (fruits, veggies, soup, etc), so drinking 2 litres of water each day isn't really necessary. You won't really be less healthy if you only drank 1.5 litres. The 1st post doesn't say that drinking 1.5 litres isn't enough, but they do imply that drinking 2 litres is crucial to being healthy.

And if you do a very basic study of water lost from diuretics, like at many Uni's ("Colleges" or whatever) they'll show you that it's not as great as people make you think it is. Ever wonder why people who drink beer have to pee alot?
    That's the argument against drinking diuretics like alcohol, but lets face it, drinking 4 pints of beer is equivalent to approx 2 litres of beer......of course you're going to pee a lot if you drank 2 litres of ANY fluid in 2 hours!! ;) You'll probably pee 4+ times, whether it's 2 litres of water, or 2 litres of beer. The difference in how much you pee from drinking beer over water isn't THAT significant (although there is a difference), which is why coffee drinkers don't seem to be dying off as quickly as we would think after reading the article. :cool:

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, it helps to have a 1 ltr bottle of water around. If it's there, you drink it. Then it becomes a habit. You just drink it because it's there, and it just happens to be good for you. :)