Important Question about the Sony HDR-SR1

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cujoca, Feb 16, 2007.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2006
    My family is in the market for an HD video camera and we have narrowed it down to two choices. The Sony HDR-SR1 and the Sony HDR-HC3. If possible we would really like to get the Sony HDR-SR1 because it has a 30 GB HD built in and saves a lot of clutter with no tapes...My ONE BIG Question is, is this camera (Sony HDR-SR1) compatible with Macs to do video editing? I have a C2D iMac 20" and would really love to edit video on it. If anyone knows the answer to my question it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Nothing supports AVCHD cameras (like the Sony HDR-SR1) right now. Also, tape based cameras offer a reliable and inexpensive method of archiving your footage and if you are on vacation you can pick up tapes a drug stores in a crunch. If you take a HDD based camera you have to have a computer to offload the footage to when is tarts to get full.

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    Very good advice. I was also reading somewhere that if you travel and capture a lot of video that you should replace the tape each day and store it in the hotels safe. So that if your camera gets stolen you only loose that one day. This is very good advice in my opinion and for how cheap the tapes are it's a good idea.

Try some on sony's other non hard drive based video camera's.

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    HC3 Is Obsoleted By The New HC5 & HC7 Models

HC3 is last years obsolete model. It's replaced by the HC5 and HC7 just coming into the country now. Here's the new top of the line HVR-HC7 thread. Please join us there and read up on it. It's already available for only $1150 from ProVantage.

Like the HC3, the HC5 has no manual audio gain nor optical stabalization while HC7 is the first consumer HDV Camcorder to have both Top Loading and Manual Audio Gain in one. It also uses superior Optical Image Stabalization. No point in paying for last year's tech (HC3) when the new tech is now arriving. As LethalWolf explained for editing you definitely want a HDV camera not a HDD model.
  5. manicaimless macrumors newbie

Jun 15, 2007
    how to get your videos on your mac!

ok i just bought the sony hdr-sr1 and realized thoose stupid guys at sony doesn't let your camera become mac friendly.....well after a long time of searching ive found a solution...

first you need the application visualhub...its free dont worry, its jsut a converter

one u record something on your camera plug it in...and eventually the little disk thing will pop up on your desktop, then click on that and it'll open the contents which is a bunch of of thoose folders contains all your movies on your harddirve....i cant remember the name of the folder but its jsut random letters and on each folder ttill you find know what it is because all your movies are in .mpg file.....drag em out on your desktop and then open visual hub.....set the converter to dv then drag your movies in and convert.....itll take a long time.....but once it converts them to .dv they become readable and editable on final cut and imovie....unfortunately you can only get movies if u record them in standard MAKE SURE YOU RECORD IN STANDARD DEFINITION ON YOUR CAMERA. until they releases mac software were jsut stuck using standard def....hope that helps.
  6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Have you tried using MPEG Streamclip and exporting to Apple Intermediate Codec (for iMovie, FCE, FCP) or Apple HDV (for FCP)?

You can get high definition out of your camera which works with Macs.