Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I just bought an ibook and I want to transfer my iTunes library from one computer to another. I exported my iTunes list into an XML file, and then used search and replace to change the path, and then imported that file into my new itunes. Everything worked correctly except play count, how do I transfer my library from one computer to another and keep my play count?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Vlade said:
I just bought an ibook and I want to transfer my iTunes library from one computer to another. I exported my iTunes list into an XML file, and then used search and replace to change the path, and then imported that file into my new itunes. Everything worked correctly except play count, how do I transfer my library from one computer to another and keep my play count?
Don't export to XML then. Just copy the iTunes 4 Music Library file along with all your music to the other computer - iTunes should automatically recognize and use the new library (assuming both computers are using the same version of iTunes). The reason you must do this is the iTunes XML exporter doesn't save play counts for some reason (I know this because I looked inside an exported XML file that iTunes generated and saw no mention of play count).

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
wrldwzrd89 said:
Don't export to XML then. Just copy the iTunes 4 Music Library file along with all your music to the other computer - iTunes should automatically recognize and use the new library (assuming both computers are using the same version of iTunes). The reason you must do this is the iTunes XML exporter doesn't save play counts for some reason (I know this because I looked inside an exported XML file that iTunes generated and saw no mention of play count).

Um... my XML files do have playcount, but oddly enough NONE had a value of 0, when I know a buch do.

Anyways, I will try that, I was afraid the path names may be a problem (and they might still be!)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Vlade said:
Um... my XML files do have playcount, but oddly enough NONE had a value of 0, when I know a buch do.

Anyways, I will try that, I was afraid the path names may be a problem (and they might still be!)
Just did a test - copied my Mac's iTunes music library over to my PC, and opened iTunes to see if it would work - it did, flawlessly!

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
iTunes libraries

Hey, since you two seem rather proficient at this iTunes gig. Could you possibly suggest how to get my playlists to still come up on my iPod even though the iPod is linked to my iBook as the main source and not my PC anymore. I have the grand majority of my music files(including playlists) on my PC because I have a lot of storage but I hardly ever use it anymore. I had to wipe out my iPod and start over but now I don't have any playlists because I'm using the iBook now as the main computer because of all the purchased music on it.

Gracias

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.