Importing a "no-name" CD in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dscan99, Jan 11, 2005.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

I'm trying to import a CD which doesn't have the real track names and album names.. iTunes lists the generic "Track 01", "Track 02" etc. Now I insert the CD, Select All, click Import. Import takes place .. all done.

Here's the problem. When it's done importing I think its pus everything in "My Library" with everything else including other "Track 01"s, "Track 02"s and so on. So how am I supposed to know which set of tracks I just finished importing????? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Ideally, I would like to directly import it into a Playlist I created and then go about renaming the tracks. Is this possible? Or does iTunes import everything into "My Library" and there's no way around it.. except for listening to all the "Track 01"s to figure out which "Track 01" you just imported?

aaaaargh..... :mad:

:)

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Select the tracks you want from the CD and drag them into the desired playlist directly. This will import them using your standard import preferences and will allow you to go directly to that playlist to edit the track names.

3. bcsmith macrumors member

Couple of Suggestions

You could either name the tracks before you import them, or you can look at the date added field to see which ones you just added. You can pull the date added field up with the view options menu.

Hope this helps.

-- Ben

4. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm.. I tried this but didn't seem to work. My playlist was empty after I dragged-dropped. I also tried this (drag-dropping the tracks to the playlist) AFTER it was done importing and still I saw a blank playlist. For some reeason I think I can only drag tracks into my playlist from the "My Library" master list. Doesn't seem like correct behaviour...????

5. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I thought about this option too... trying to sort by some kind of date field. But I only saw one date field.. called "Date Created" or soemthing like that and it was blank for most of my songs in my master Library. I'll add the "Date ADded" field to my view options.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sounds strange to me. It's always worked the way I described when I've done it (at least recently). What version of iTunes are you using? When dragging, did it show the (+) icon next to the cursor to indicate it was adding them? Did it appear to actually import them?

7. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure what version. Probably the latest. It came with my 2 month old iBook G4.

Yes, it did show the (+) icon which confused me coz I was getting excited and thought that's all it took! But then empty playlist! :( And I did see it importing too...

Oh well, I 'll givce it another try this evening. What happens whe u try and re-import a CD twice? Will it just result in unwanted duplicate tracks?

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

I think that it will create the duplicate tracks, but you may be able to use the "Consolidate Library" to fix it. I can't think of anything you're doing incorrectly - but I just used it and it worked last night, so I'm confused as well. Perhaps because the are unnamed tracks?

You could also open the playlist, then select File > Import... and see if that works.

9. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Start off a day when you haven't imported anything else, and make a Smart Playlist that is Date Added = 00/00/00 filling in the zeros with the days date (which I believe is the default behavior). Then import your CD and it should show just the tracks imported from that disc.

Should work for you! I use smart playlists all the time to show me what songs are the newest in my like 7000 song library.

If you have any questions PM me.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Norouzi macrumors 6502

The easiest thing to do is to put all the information in befor you import the songs. That's what I did with a bunch a mix CD's a friend gave to me. Then the information is always there, even if you take the CD out and put it in again iTunes remembers the CD and all the info you entered even if you didn't import it.

11. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

...or at the very list 'select all' and 'apple+info' to name all the tracks with the artist name at once before import... takes two seconds and you can type the song names in later.

I agree though, the smart playlist is the best way to manage newly added stuff.

12. Adam257 macrumors newbie