importing assitance

Discussion in 'iPod' started by RBilRamZ, Jan 17, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Sep 17, 2003
    I think this should be fairly simple, but the normal drag-and-drop isnt working. I need to import some ".wma" files in to iTunes, how do I do that? Do I need to download some kind of converter?

all help is appreciated
  2. macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    On Windows, it should just work, provided that it's not a protected file.

On Mac, there are a few ways, not quite as seamless. I've done it a couple ways using the combination of the Flip4Mac plugin and QuickTime Pro.

The quick way I use is to open the .wma with QT Player, then save as a QuickTime movie. The resulting .mov will play in iTunes, but can't be used on an iPod. One cute side effect of this particular conversion is that even though it's still WMA inside, the QuickTime wrapper prevents it from playing on Windows since there's no Flip4Win :D

To make an iPod-playable file, you can again open the .wma, create a new empty movie, then copy and paste over. Export the "new" movie as a more iTunes-friendly audio file. (You can skip the copy-paste business if you have the paid version of Flip4Mac.)

You might also try playing around with VLC or mplayer, if the WMA file you want to convert is one of the flavors they support.