Importing Bookmarks from Safari 1.2.4, TO Safari 2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by atx_knepp, Jul 10, 2005.

1. atx_knepp macrumors member

ok, so i have an iBook, tht is as old as moses, i bought them right whn thy came out and i have ALL my bookmarks on it, how do i put them all on my iMac using Tiger and safari 2.0?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....copy the file "bookmarks.plist" from ~/library/safari from one to the other.....oh yeah!

3. atx_knepp thread starter macrumors member

thanks duff-man, are there no pro0blems being it is a differnt os and different version app?

4. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

One way I do it is:

Bookmarks>Show All Bookmarks>Select All>Copy>Open Simple Text>Paste>Save As.

Then:

Open file in new machine or browser>Show All Bookmarks>Paste, they will all appear as links or bookmarks in new Safari.

There might be a simpler way, but this way works for me... :)

5. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

pretty sweet never thought of doing it this way, do you have to copy over the new ones though? or will system recognize the file with an altered filename such as Bookmarks1.plist?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, if you use the plist file, you basically have to overwrite it.

But, doesn't Safari 1.2 already have the File->Export Bookmarks option? You save the file anywhere you want, get it over to the new Mac, and then File->Import Bookmarks on that same file. This will let you pool bookmarks from the old and the new.

7. atx_knepp thread starter macrumors member

just did the plist thing, i just copied to documents and imported and it just added them as a new folder in bookmarks, and then i could move everything around, it worked great, thanks guys!!!!