Importing CD's into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EvilHomer, Nov 30, 2006.

1. EvilHomer macrumors newbie

Hi all

Apologies if this question seems really basic but I have had a hard time trying to find a straight answer. If I import one of my old CD's into iTunes, will iTunes copy protect the mp3 files in anyway?

I have done this successfully and put a them on my iPod but if I change my hardware, stick them on a work machine etc to play will it eventually tell me I can't copy them anymore?

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

nope, itunes will not copy-protect music you import from your own cd's. they are yours to transfer to new hardware in the future without any restrictions...

3. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Quite right. Only restriction is that your iPod can only sinc to one iTunes, so don't connect it to your office mac unless the preferences have been set to not auto sinc....

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

iTunes doesn't even have any capability of adding any kind of copy prevention to music that comes from your own CDs. However, for better sound quality, I recommend importing in AAC format (which also has no copy prevention added).

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It won't copy protect your music you burned but you will not be able to transfer the music over to another itunes....you can connect to the other itunes but you must put the ipod in manual.

Bless