Importing CDs....what settings?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ~Kat~, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ~Kat~ macrumors member

~Kat~

[​IMG]

What are the best settings? I have to reimport all of my CDs because I'm getting a new iPod and it won't be on a Mac computer.

There are several variables, I'm not a perfectionist but I want quality. Any recommendations?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Depends what you mean by best.

I have two libraries, one for my 80GB iPod and one for playing at home. While my iPod library doesn't fit on my iPod, i can still fit a lot of music on my player.

A) iPod files - AAC 192 VBR
    B) Home files and music colleciton archive - Apple Lossless

Why can't you just move the files onto your PC? Ripping takes an awfully long time.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Turn on the error correction, it can take a little longer but will give you more reliable rips. The codec and bit rate are very much personal preferences, but I would go for AAC instead of MP3 unless compatibility with some player (say, a car MP3 deck) was an issue.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I personally use AAC 192KBit. I don't think I can here any difference at that quality, it doesn't take too much space, and I won't think "I should have imported at better quality" two years from now.

Just wondering: Why do you think you have to re-import your CDs? If you already have imported them to a Mac, there are quicker and easier ways to move them to another computer. If you can't set up a network between the computers, the best way is to burn your whole collection on data DVDs or data CDs and import them into iTunes on the other computer; that way you have a backup as well which you should do anyway.