Importing clipart into Office 2004 via Firefox -- help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argelius, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2005
    I am a new Mac user and am attemptiong to import clip art from the Microsoft Website (via Firefox).

Evidently, you need to associate the file type ".cll" with the browser in order for it to open and allow it to be read in the Office application. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this.

The online help topic (from M$) doesn't mention Firefox, but gives instruction for IE and Netscape. The Netscape instructions are below, but I cant figure out if this is something I can do with Firefox...

To configure Netscape Navigator to open clips on Mac OS X

1. Start Netscape Navigator version 6.0 or later.
    2. On the Netscape menu, click Preferences.
    3. Click Navigator, and then click Helper Applications.
    4. Click New Type, and then type the following information:

Description of type: Clip Art and Media File
    File extension: .cil
    MIME Type: application/
    5. Click Choose and browse for the Microsoft Clip Gallery program, usually located in the Office folder under your Microsoft Office installation folder. Click Open, and then click OK.
    6. In the Preferences dialog box, click OK.
    7. Close Netscape Navigator, and then restart it.
  2. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    doesn't work for me, either.

I was just trying this same thing this past weekend, to no avail. Wonder what's up with that? I didn't try Safari, did you?
  3. jaseone macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
    I think you can only add mime types in Firefox by trying to download the file and then selecting the "Open With" option and selecting the program there.

You could also just download the file and then import it that way.
  4. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2005
    I found this extension that seems to address this issue: … ype-editor

I set it up with the information for Netscape listed in my original post. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. When I attempt to download the clip art and click on "open" when the download starts, I get the following error message:

"Clip Gallery can only be launched from Office."

If I save the clip to my desktop and then click on "import" from the Clip Art Gallery from within Word (or Excel), the same error message occurs.

I haven't tried to see if it works using Safari
  5. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2005
    Perth, Oztrailya
    I don't think there is a workable solution to this. I have tried endlessly. In the end I gave up and used Internet Explorer :eek: This worked first time, with no fiddling necessary though the program is soooo slow - it's painful. I hope you don't have to search too many clipart galleries!

Surprise, isn't it, that to play with M$ products you have to use their other products...
  6. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2005
    Thanks. I've pretty much come to the same conclusion. And I didn't realize there is an IE version for Mac. I just switched from PC to Macs...can't bring myself to install IE! :cool:
  7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    IE for Mac isn't a good browser, but at least it's not a security risk like it is on a PC. I keep it around, because I occasionally run into things (like this) where IE will do something that other browsers won't.
  8. teacher24_70 macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2005
    This is an old message, but in case you haven't found the answer, there IS a work around. Once you've saved the clipart file to your desktop (from Firefox),l add the extension ".cil" to it. Double click it to open it and it will do everything else automatically. It's just a matter of it not getting saved with the extension.

9. ukfnadmin macrumors newbie

Dec 23, 2009