Importing IE Favorites off of PC hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMinnesotan, Feb 14, 2007.

1. iMinnesotan macrumors member

iMinnesotan

I have put the hard drive from a dead Windows PC into a USB drive enclosure and have been importing photos and other data on it while setting up a new MacBook. I am trying to figure out how to import the large number of Internet Explorer favorites from under the Documents and Settings folder but it would seem that the applications only want to import favorites from each other or from a single bookmarks file.

Can anyone suggest how to get the Windows IE favorites, which are saved as multiple files within multiple folders, to be imported into either Firefox or Safari?

2. Totty macrumors member

One thing you could do is copy those favorites links into a user's account on a Windows machine, then install Firefox on that machine. When the install is finished it will launch Firefox and ask if you would like to import settings from another browser. Make sure to import the favorites from IE on that window.
    Then download this extension for firefox on the Windows machine and your Mac:
    http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/

Follow the instructions on the page and you'll soon have all those links in your Firefox bookmarks. :D

Hope this helps.

3. iMinnesotan thread starter macrumors member

iMinnesotan

Thank you for the response. I already have Firefox on my PC so I'll have my sister bring her drive over and we'll see if we can get your suggestion to recover her bookmarks. Thanks!