importing iSight in to iMovie & iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darraghsmyth, May 20, 2004.

1. darraghsmyth macrumors newbie

I just bought an iSight camera with the attention of using to take (crude) photos and movies as a cheap intro to iPhoto and iMovie before investing in any proper digital camera equipment. I was under the impression that I could simply plug-n-play but I failed to get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

How do I import a live feed from the iSight in to iMovie? iSight seems to only exist inside iChat so I wasn't sure what exactly to "import".

Can I only import files, and if so, how do I record a movie from iSight? I looked at Quicktime Player but as it says on the tin, it appears to only play movies, not record them.

Similarly, I'd like to be able to take snapshots with the iSight and import in to iPhoto but it wasn't clear how to do this.

Any experience on this?

thanks in advance
    darragh

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Recording video with iSight: In iMovie, move the slider to the camera icon. Make sure your iSight it turned on and press "Record with camera". When you're done, press "record with camera" again.

You can capture still images from inside iChat. On your Buddy List there is a camera icon next to your name. Click that and you'll be looking at the output of your iSight. Go to Video > take snapshot (or press command, shift, s).

3. darraghsmyth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this tip. In the end I discovered what was wrong - iChat was automatically set to use the iSight when it was plugged in. However this meant the camera was not simultaneously available to iMovie. So I had to switch off iChat to get iMovie to find the camera.

cheers
    darragh

4. cbkenston10 macrumors newbie

take pictures from your iSight camera and import them into iPhoto

i am new to my iMac

i want to take pictures with my iSight camera and edit them in iPhoto but i cant figure out how to take them

i have found a way to take videos in iMovie but that about it

if anyone can help please email me at.....cbkenston10@aim.com

thanks