Importing MP3's into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrVegas, Jun 7, 2005.

1. MrVegas macrumors regular

I clicked on File/Import and then pointed to a hard drive of a PC on my shared network. I can see all my music in album folders just fine. But all the individual songs are *greyed out.* I cannot select them to import. Then I went to iTunes preferences for importing and changed the "Import Using" thing to MP3 encoder.

A. Why are my songs greyed out?

B. When I import using the encoder, it won't change the bitrate of the original MP3 will it? It confuses me that you specify the bitrate when importing ... usually importing just means moving files, not altering them?

Thanks a bunch.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

iTunes "Importing" preferences are actually dealing with 'ripping' tracks off CD. Yeah, kinda confusing versus the Import via the File menu...

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

As for why the files are 'grayed out', good question. I don't know why but iTunes is doing the same for me...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you trying to import them with or without copying them to the library? Have you tried just dragging them and dropping them in the iTunes window?

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Ah, File Import is still for ripping! Try File > Add to Library... instead.

6. MrVegas thread starter macrumors regular

That's it! Good show.

Now I've got another problem. I selected the folder for an album (Beck/Sea Change) which has 12 songs. It brought them in very quickly. Nice.

Problem: it brought them in twice.

What's going on?

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

My guess: you're folder had a playlist in it.

8. MrVegas thread starter macrumors regular

uhhh... is there any way to prevent iTunes from doubling the songs if you have a playlist in there?

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Yeah, chances are your folder has .m3u files, better known as "Playlist" files. Just down bring those over and you will avoid duplicate tracks. At first this was annoying for me, but at this point, I don't understand why iTunes doesn't ignore .m3u files (or actually make a playlist from them).