Importing my CD collection to itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flyguy451, Jun 1, 2006.

1. flyguy451 macrumors regular

I'm just about to start the process of importing my CD collection to my new Macbook. I've actually done a few already and it's pretty simple. My question is about the encoding. What are the pros and cons of the various encoding options? I don't have an ipod, yet, but obviously want to be able to play the music on one when I get it. Besides that there must be some good reasons for picking one over the other, file size, quality etc.

Thanks

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I use the highest available AAC (i.e. 320 Kbps, only available with VBR turned off). When you download to an iPod, iTunes automatically resamples everything down to 128 Kbps anyway. There's no point in importing in anything less than best available quality unless you have limited drive space.

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

i don't it resamples everything...

there are tons of posts about the different qualities. it comes down to one thing: your ears. try encoding the same CD a few different ways. then listen to the same songs. i used to think that aac at 128 was great, but now i find that, as skunk says, 320 is much better.

i disagree with skunk though - my understanding is that only the ipod shuffle will automatically resample files down to 128 and that's only if you choose for that to happen. lower sampling will result in smaller file sizes which in turn reduces the amount of energy needed by the ipod to work.

then again, you were just asking about itunes. if you are concerned about space, buy an external HD. they are pretty cost effective these days.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

For a portable Mac and a large CD collection, just use AAC@128, that is more than good enough for normal listening... any higher quality and you will run out of space faster... ;)

Just remember to keep the original CDs. If you plan on discarding them all together, I would first rip in Apple Lossless and then archive those after re-encoded to AAC@128 for listening... :)
    I agree with Keebler: That is just the Shuffles that does, AFAIK. Nothing gets resampled when I transfer songs to my mini...

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My mistake :eek:
    I don't actually have an iPod...