importing new old songs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CrackedButter, Feb 18, 2005.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I want to save space and I am intending to convert my entire music collection from mp3 to AAC.

Now during this process, I heard you can overwrite the older songs but keep the existing information, such as, playcount, rating and such.

How can you do it because I know it can be done but forgot.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I don't know the answer to your question, but just want to make sur eyou are aware that you will lose quite a bit of quality in doing this. you'll be going from one lossy format to another. It may not be worth doing.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Sorry I should of been more specific.

I am converting them from the original CD.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you want to rip a new copy of each song from the CD, in AAC instead of MP3, and then keep the playcount associated to the MP3 files? Hmmm, I don't have iTunes here at the lab, but I'll look too.... There might be some kind of re-rip option.

EDIT: I found another thread on this topic somewhere else which seemed to imply that this may not work if iTunes wasn't used to rip the MP3s of the CD originally. But basically all you do is import the disc again, and it should pop up a requester asking you if you want to replace. But this script might help you out: http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=reripasaac