Importing Old iWeb Site into iWeb after HDD Format

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ericmjl, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ericmjl macrumors member

Hi everybody,

Before my hard disk crashed, I had an iWeb site that I uploaded to .Mac. However, after it crashed, I sent my MacBook to Apple for repairs, and they gave me a totally new hard drive back. I realized that my old iWeb sites were gone, and I wanted to re-download them from .Mac, but I don't know how to do this. Anybody has any advice on this?

Thanks alot.

Cheers,
    Eric

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

As far as I know, this is impossible. iWeb does not import HTML, it reads the iWeb file that is stored on your computer. If you loose this file, you loose your "editable" website. Sorry to give you the bad news. Apple needs to find a better way to back up websites made with iWeb...

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Back up, back up and back up.

The domain file that iWeb uses is quite simple to back up. Instead of a million different files everything is contained in one file. All you gotta do is copy it elsewhere to back it up.

I think it works quite well. The only thing I would say is the domain files should be able to be named something other than domain as they can get mixed up and copied over if using a lot of different domain files.

If you dont have the domain file you cannot reimport to iWeb.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I didn't really mean that it is a bad way of doing it, but they could at least let people know that's what it does :). Like it would give you the option of backing up the domain file and let you know where it is.