Importing photoshopped photos into iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Aug 10, 2005.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

hey all,
    I work with photos in photoshop and I noticed whenever I try to import them into my iPhoto library, they say it has an unrecognizable file type or something along those lines. Can someone help me out please? Thanks.

2. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Found out I have to open the image in Safari, ctrl-click, and do "add to iPhoto library" from there, I can't just go directly from my finder window. Any ideas?

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Are you talking about iPhoto not being able to import .psd files, or edited .jpg, or edited .tif files or what? Could that be it? Or perhaps a certain setting you are using when compressing the files? I think a little more information on process would be helpful.

How are you saving the images and what settings are you using in the dialog boxes?

4. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I think it's the edited .jpg files thing.

iPhoto doesn't support that?

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'll reiterate this one. How are you saving these?

I have imported fine from scans using Photoshop, so I doubt you are saving your files as .jpg...

6. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I'm not an idiot. I'm saving my files as .jpgs.

I edit using different layers and using filters and I check the box that says "embed color profile blah blah blah" and under jpeg options i select baseline standard and quality as the highest you can get.

I usually just drag files from iphoto into photoshop, edit them from there, save them as new files, and then try to drag these new ones back into iphoto to add them to my iphoto library, and that's when i get these errors.

"unreadable files: 1
    the following files could not be imported (they may be an unrecognized file type or these files may not contain valid data)

/users/myname/pictures/iphoto library/etc etc"

7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I use Photoshop as my main editor when I double-click on a photo and it never has any problems when I save it.

8. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

You could just try saving by commmand-s, so that it saves them with the exact same way that it found them when opening. Maybe that would work.

9. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

ok, thanks :)
    anyone else got any ideas? gonna try this one right now though.

10. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

hell, i opened a picture named DSC00395.jpg through preview, then saved a new copy as DSC00395a.jpg, but now when I try to drag that one into iphoto, i get the same error message. grrr

and now when i also try just dragging an already existing iphoto file into iphoto again, i get the same error. maybe a program bug?

11. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

How did you open it? Via Finder? Dragging from iPhoto?

12. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

opened in finder
    saved the file in preview as a new copy
    tried dragging into iphoto, got error message.

13. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

the only way i am able to import these files into iphoto now is to open the file in safari first, and then add to iphoto library. strange. any ideas? thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

random ideas from my work desk, as I don't have anything in iPhoto here...and it's nowhere close to the latest version:

repair permissions?
    trash preferences?

maybe iPhoto needs a preview associated with the .jpg?
    maybe there's some kind of file size limit?

...at this point, I'm just guessing, but the first two are always good to try.

15. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Are you dragging them from the iPhoto library or the app window? What version of iPhoto are you using?

I just dragged a photo from the iPhoto app to the photoshop icon, inverted it and resaved it to my desktop with a new name. I then dragged it from there to the library window of iPhoto and it imported it fine. Is this what you're doing and having a problem with?

16. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

iphoto app
    okay, now this time it did actually work with the method you described. what i was doing earlier was actually saving it in the same iphoto folder as the original, and even when i renamed it, it still had problems. i think this might be the problem. is there a reason why you cant save it to the iphoto-specific folder for the file and import it again through iphoto? with itunes i do a similar procedure and it works fine...

thanks again! :)

17. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Hi, just a quick thought for the forum.
    I can't explain very clearly, as I can't access iPhoto right now (I'm, er, reinstalling my whole crashed system... Browsing the internet while late-backing-up 200 Gb...)

Under iPhoto, there is an option for duplicating a photo. That's what I usually do: select the interesting picture, duplicate it, and edit the duplicate via Photoshop. The advantage is to keep the original away from the very beginning, but it also (should) let you save the edited result under Photoshop.

Now, extensive use of the jpeg settings for layers etc might be a problem, I guess iPhoto's possibilities are limited to 'standard' jpg. Use .psd for intermediate or complex editing steps (ie, multi-layered etc), and save the flattened result in iPhoto.

A.