Importing Styles from other Documents in Word?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MmmPancakes, Jun 24, 2005.

1. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I'm editing several documents in Word, mainly applying Styles. Is there a way I can import the available styles from document A to document B? I'm basically very tired of re-defining styles every time I move on to a different files.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes.

Open Document B (the destination doc). Choose Format -> Style and then click the Organize button. On the left side, click the close button, and then it will change to "Open File." Then click it again and choose Document A. On the right side, choose Document B. You may have to go through the same close/open rigamarole. Select all the styles you want to copy over in the left listbox and then click the copy button.

3. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

5. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

2003 on a PC...I'm may transfer this stuff to my Mac though...I found the organizer button, but can't quite get it to import yet...

6. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Ok I've switched to the Mac and it works...Now how can I go about doing this to create a teamplate I can apply to each of the new docs, so I don't have to manually copy each style over for each document?

7. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Or, is there a way I can "select all" the styles from the left pane and copy to the right?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you want them in your global template, then the global template should appear by default in the right side of the organizer, and you can copy them in, and then they should always be available. Otherwise, repeat the procedure above with a new, blank document as the "Document B," and when you are done, choose Save, change the format from Word Document to Document Template, and then save it. It should save automatically in the templates folder, and then be accessible as a document type in the project gallery.

9. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes