Importing VHS Tapes and Compression

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by metfuel, Dec 21, 2005.

1. metfuel macrumors member

Feb 13, 2002
    I am going to import a VHS collection of tapes that isn't on dvd and I would like to know the best way to do this. I want to get a good quality as i can get but I don't want this file size that is ridiculous when it is finished for each tape. The tape running time is 52 minutes per video. I am using a Formac Studio hardware device to use to get it into the computer. I am running a 2 Ghz iMac G5 with 768megs of ram.
    Any help on figuring out the best solution so i can get a couple of these tapes on one dvd would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    The MPEG2 codec allows for up to 2 hours of high quality video at around 4.5 Mbps used in conjunction with 128 Kbit AC3. You can't do AC3 in iDVD unfortunately. The most you can squeeze on a DVD with iDVD is 90 minutes. But even then, the quality won't be great since VHS itself is pretty bad.

For the best quality, you can squeeze 2 hours using the BitVice encoder and turning on DVNC to 5-8 for the best VHS noise suppression. It costs $$$ but worth it if you're doing many DVDs and going for the best quality.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]