Importing Video from VHS getting No Sound

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Roy Hobbs, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I am using my camcorder (with AV->DV turned on) and I am attempting to capture video from VHS in iMovie 6.0.3 (i have FCE but cant seem to get the capture to work with the AV->DV turned on.

In iMovie I click import and hit play on the VCR.....I then see the video in iMovie as it is being captured but I get no sound?

I tried both the 16 bit and 12 bit setting on my Canon Optura 60 and neither gets me any audio in iMovie.

PS if I have the viewing screen on the camera open I can hear the audio from the VHS, closed no audio. I have tried capturing both ways.

Please if you have any suggestions I would be very greatful.

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

I dont about iMovie or FCE, but it works in FCP, I go to Log and Capture, and change the capture device settings to Non-Controllable Device. Then you can do the normal log and capture and set the audio to what you need.

3. Roy Hobbs thread starter macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Well thanks for the reply but it doesnt really help me.

I still amazes me that someone would take the time to post something that has no bearing on what was in the original post.

It's nice that you replied but you might have saved the effort for another post that dealt with Final Cut Pro

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think what Mydriasis was getting at is that the reason you can't get it to work at all in FCE is because you might not have you log & capture settings set to "non-controllable device".

Have you tried recording a few minutes of the VHS tape onto MiniDV and then capturing the MiniDV (if you do this make sure the audio is set to 16bit not 12bit)?

Lethal

5. bomadian macrumors member

did you get anywhere on this ? I had the same problem capturing stuff into imovie from both a mini dv camcorder and also a dedicated analog to digital converter. no audio !? i found that once you had captured the footage, you had to save your project and quit, then turn the camcorder off and go back in. once back in your project the 'loading audio' message would appear and my audio would be fine.

6. Roy Hobbs thread starter macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I'll have to give that a try, my work around was exporting the audio out of iMovie as DV and that seemd to work

7. cdarlington1 macrumors regular

cdarlington1

People on macrumors are getting more rude...

"Well thanks for the reply but it doesnt really help me.

I still amazes me that someone would take the time to post something that has no bearing on what was in the original post.

It's nice that you replied but you might have saved the effort for another post that dealt with Final Cut Pro"

Geez...maybe you should go to another forum if your going to be that rude. Sometime's people try to be helpful, maybe FCE and FCP work the same in terms of capturing...I know, this doesn't answer your question but I don't feel like helping someone like you...

8. Roy Hobbs thread starter macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I would rather have someone not respond then to respond with a suggestion in another software package.

This happens way too many times on this forum, I'm not trying to be rude. But if you can't answer the question don't reply.

9. Spaceghost1 macrumors newbie

It would make sense that FCP and FCE are at least somewhat similar and it is therefore a logical conclusion to assume that something that worked for him in FCP might help you out in FCE, did you even bother to check if what he said is the same in FCE? Or just blow it off?

In fact I think you will find that most NLE programs will have similar features and settings so it is not that big of a leap from FCP to FCE.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You said you had FCE but you couldn't get it to work at all so you were trying it in iMovie.

Mydriasis gave you a suggestion on how to get it to work under FCE.

How did Mydriasis not address your problem?

Lethal