importing video

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by L A R E !, Sep 21, 2006.

1. L A R E ! macrumors member

L A R E !

I am having trouble importing video from a camcorder that puts the video on one of those mini. dvd disks. please help

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Are you importing from the camera? Why not just pop the disc into your mac and rip the video?

3. L A R E ! thread starter macrumors member

L A R E !

i put the small disk into my mac but it show that the disk is empty, but in know it has video.

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Hmm... Is there a setting on your camera to finalize the mini-dvd? If so you might need to do that before th Mac identifies it.

5. paradillon macrumors member

Assuming imovie HD?

check apples link for compatibility with your camera, I recall seeing some non compatible dvd camcorders. if your recordable dvd is a small disk i don't believe the optical drive will work with those.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/camcorders.html

edit: link just goes to manufacturers sites, apple use to list all compatible camcorders. they still might I didn't dig too deep.

6. L A R E ! thread starter macrumors member

L A R E !

so the video cam. needs to finalize the disk?:confused:

7. steveandkaren macrumors newbie

Maybe you can help me then !

Help! can't burn movie to DVD using Imovie
    I've just compiled a 45 min long movie from mini DV using Imovie. Its made up of lots of short clips with audio over the top and is quite large at 25GB in its uncompressed state. I am trying to compress it, so that I can burn to a DVD capacity 4.7Gb.

Can anyone tell me how to compress, I have tried compressing using the default settings and also the expert settings, however got an error message saying that it contained some data which was didn't allow it to be compressed????
    Does anyone know how I can fit this onto a DVD (I have to do a presentation on Sunday and don't want to have to take my imac with me!)

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've already responded to your other thread that you started....:rolleyes:

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

To use iMovie for your editing you'll need to convert the dvd content to a format that imovie can handle. It needs to be in either .dv format or .mp4 format (.mov quicktime files are also ok). I believe that you could use a program like handbrake to do the conversion, or look around versiontracker for other solutions.