Importing WAL library to AAC

Discussion in 'iPod' started by PeterJ72, Jan 20, 2006.

1. PeterJ72 macrumors newbie

Perhaps I should have thought this through first, but ...

I ripped my CD collection into an iTunes library, using WAV (so that I'd have an uncompressed version of all my tracks). This comes to about 200GB.

I thought I would be able to import this library into my main iTunes library, where incoming music is converted to AAC (@ 160). However, when I select import many tracks are missing and they just come in at WAV, which I won't be able to fit on my iBook.

Any suggestions as to how to do what I want? Hopefully it won't involve starting everything over again!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

WAV usually implies Windows. So you thould be able to use iTunesEncode http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=35242 to convert to AAC and add to the library in one swell foop. Just set iTunes to 160 kbps and you should be set.

B

3. PeterJ72 thread starter macrumors newbie

In this case I did all of this on my Mac. I don't have easy access to a PC - is there a solution I can run on my Mac?

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

No, WAV is just general lossless audio, if it was WMA/WMV, then it would be Windows Media.
    iTunes can play the WAV files fine. If you wanted the songs in AAC, you should have ripped the CDs using iTunes, specifying whatever kbps AAC in the Import prefpane.

All you need to do (I might be wrong, I don't have any wav files to test this on) is to select all the WAV files, go to the Advanced menu, and click on the one that says Convert Selection to AAC.

If it doesn't have that, all you need is an app to convert from WAV to AAC, I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure a simple search will turn up a few.

5. PeterJ72 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Funny, when I've worked with lossless audio on my Mac I always seem to be pushed in the direction of AIFF, not WAV. There's usually a bit of an effort required to get WAVs on Mac. Just as getting AIFF files on Windows usually requires extra effort.

Personally I tend to rip to FLAC when I want lossless.

B

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

well, there's a bunch of lossless codecs - for OS X the de facto standard tends to be AIFF - but I dont think any particular one is tied with a specific OS, and support for both wav and aiff in quicktime and other apps are pretty much the same. OTOH, flac isnt supported without the codecs by most of them :)

i'm a big flac fan too, as well as ogg vorbis/theora and other free-as-in-beer codecs and such, unfortunately the iPod doesn't like those files :( :mad: