Improve the appearance of the dock shelf

Discussion in 'OS X' started by AlexisV, Oct 29, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

AlexisV

I thought this was worth posting here. There are 4 image files in system>library>core services>dock>contents>resources called 'scurve'.

By altering these images you can improve the appearance of the dock, in my opinion at least!

By darkening the existing images, you can really bring out the reflections and see the active application light more easily:

[​IMG]

You can also go mad and brighten things up, as seen in this thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=516253&posted=1#post516253

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors member

That looks so much better than the default one. Would you be able to post the modified files somewhere please? I don't have Photoshop or anything.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

AlexisV

5. macrumors 6502

Opening a new door in OS X?

Very nice!

There's just one thing I don't get though... In an earlier topic on this forum, one users discovered where all the UI elements were stored and how simple it would be to edit them.

This new discovery only strengthens my suspicions...

Is Apple opening up their UI to, dare I say, 'Themes'?

6. macrumors 68030

Nice discovery! However mine appears to be working only half way... The curves are black for me, but the base of the dock is still a bright white.

7. macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Ditto. My dock is the same half slightly darker the top wave half is the same help bro

8. macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

This is because whatever file is currently being used by the dock won't be overwritten with Finder. It will work if you copy it using the sudo command in Terminal:

Code:
    sudo cp /Users/nathan/Downloads/scurve-m.png /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scurve-m.png

9. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

That's amazing! A darker glass dock provides some nice contrast against almost any background and app icon. A major breakthrough, I must say!

Candybar 3 is expected to allow users to customize the Leopard dock. There's A LOT of potential for customization, with multitude of Leopard-specific UI elements. Can't wait to see what the future brings. :cool:

10. macrumors 65816

Quillz

I don't think so, I think it's just Apple simplifying things a bit for developers and what not. Keep in mind that most average users would never bother with something with this, let alone probably even know where to find it.

11. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I have to admit, everything on the dock is way easier to see. Kudos!

Best Leopard mod yet. This is actually an improvement.

12. macrumors 65816

This is fantastic, but the very bottom of the dock still has a thin white line all the way across... anyone have any idea how to tweak that as well?

13. macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

This really is a very easy Leopard mod. Check out my Leopard dock:

[​IMG]

I love this look so much better.

14. macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Replace the frontline.jpg file with the graphic of your choosing.

15. macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I used this command for each line and it did nothing for me.. I obviously inputted my info..

16. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

After you do that you have to kill the dock.app. It should restart immediately automatically.

You can easily do this in Activity Monitor. Click on Dock and then "quit process" (the stop sign).

17. macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Try replacing this file as well.

http://misc.nathanbolender.com/frontline.png

18. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

For those of us less graphically inclined, anyway someone can post a graphic to match the OP's mod?

[edit] How did I miss the link!?

19. macrumors 65816

Very cool. Yes I posted earlier "remove leopard dock effect". But I had no ideas which files were which. Thanks.

ivnj

20. macrumors 604

CalBoy

21. macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Since there appears to be two concurrent threads about basically the same topic, I'll post this in this thread as well.

I feel it's necessary to point everyone to the place where I got the graphics files to mod my Dock. Early this morning, a user over on the Ars Technica forums was the first person that I had seen mention this mod. Here's his original post:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/111001128831?r=963004628831#963004628831

He then followed up with a post including a link to download the graphic files:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/111001128831?r=345004628831#345004628831

And finally, here's a direct link to his graphic files:

http://www.dlpart.com/dock/DarkDock.zip

Credit must go out to ciel over at the Ars forum, as these graphic files appear to be his doing. He's calling the package "Dark Dock". Awesome stuff ciel!

EDIT: I also wanted to point out that ciel's zip package also includes a Readme file with very clear instructions on how to complete this mod.

22. macrumors 65816

hmm... thanks for the info on frontline.png, but for some reason it's not updating like the scurve files...

edit: actually this is very odd... now none of my attempts at replacing the files are working.. I replace the appropriate files and it never changes after I kill the dock.. it worked perfectly on my first change, I wonder why it's stuck? I've logged out and rebooted, but to no avail

23. macrumors 65816

Quillz

Are you doing all your editing through the Terminal? Because you should. I can replace every file, including frontline.png, just fine via the Terminal.

Here's what my Dock looks like right now for those who are interested...

Attached Files:

24. macrumors 65816

I'm just doing it through the Finder, but I got it figured out... just deleted the files and then moved the new ones over instead of trying to replace and it works now.

25. macrumors member

Here is my modded dock. I made it slightly darker, removed the curved highlight, and made it less deep.

[​IMG]