Improving iWeb

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 24, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: Opinion/Interviews
    Link: Improving iWeb
    Description:: Steve Jobs walked onto stage and talked about how iWeb would refine and reshape web-page development. With it’s design, functionality, and unambiguous simple, user friendly interface. At the time, I agreed. Steve made another sensational Keynote demo of iWeb, and talked up the hype. Now I have my copy of iLife 06, my views have drastically changed.

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2004
    Tallahassee, FL
    an article about how to improve iWeb? well that's low hanging fruit. i agree with him, but he's only stating the obvious.
  3. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Nov 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Remember, this is my article of what I think needs improving in iWeb, I am yet to write my full review of iWeb showcasing it’s many wonderful features.
  4. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2004
    I got my iLife 06 the other day, and I opened it to see what all the fuss was about, and I did think initially the process was like Pages. From somebody who messes with GoLive, the fist thing I did was look at the help pages of iWeb, and look for "uploading". I must admit the info wasn't as easy to extract as it could have been, and those relevance bars didn't hit on uploading to alternatives to dotmac.
    I realise Apple has targets for dotmac, and I suppose having dedicated software parallels the iTunes/ITMS software relationship, but although there are 1 million dotmacs out there, there are a lot more dial ups/adsl accounts with unused webspace available.
    For a first stab, iWeb is more than OK for its target audience, but for anybody outside this. it's a bit like the first version of iMovie, and you've got an unsupported DV camera and you don't want to buy a new one. :)
  5. macrumors 68020

Nov 8, 2003
    New Zealand
    Prepare to have your opinion 'dissected' by the somewhat forensic nature of MR forum users Glenn. Goodluck:)
  6. macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2005
    I don't have iWeb, I can't afford iWeb, I don't want iWeb and I don't have any issues with the other iLife '05 apps but if it exposes an export page action, surely it would be possible for a user to automate their non-.Mac uploads using AppleScript and/or the Automator?
  7. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2004
    Tallahassee, FL
    i understand. but i havent even used iweb and i could pick up those details by Jobs' presentation and the iWeb homepage. maybe you could dive into:

- how much of a ripoff it is of RapidWeaver
    - HTML/XHTML/CSS compatibility
    - RSS and how well it's implemented
    - any browser-dependent features
    - a site updating process for non-.Mac users
    - extending it with applescript and/or automator
    - PHP or other scripting support