Improving text quality on the macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashokc, Feb 17, 2007.

1. ashokc macrumors member

Feb 10, 2007
    Hey guys Ive just got the macbook and im wondering if I can do anything to improve the quality of text. It appears slightly grainy, pictures look fine. Ive tried safari, camino and firefox and text looks grainy in all of these. Is there any setting i can try to make txt appear smoother?
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Well, if you go to the "Appearance" preference pane, down at the bottom there's a section where you can turn off font smoothing below a certain size, and can choose the font smoothing style that looks the best to you.

Apple's defaults are usually fine, but if you don't like the way the default smoothing style looks try the others and see if one is more to your taste.

I believe the changes only take effect with applications opened after you change the setting, so to make sure you're actually seeing the difference, I'd quit the web browser, change the setting, close System Prefs for good measure, then reopen the web browser and see how it looks.
  3. phineas macrumors regular

Nov 1, 2006
    South of the Border I-95
    Firefox does not look right on Mac's or MBP's its the font setting from what I read on