Impure thoughts...

Discussion in 'Community' started by SpaceMagic, Mar 13, 2004.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Help! I'm installing windows on a box I just made under my desk (under my G5) I'm scared I'll prefer Windows!I've used it all my life, and hated it, but now it is so close to the G5 physically.. which will I turn on first :confused:

2. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Use both!

I have 1 windows machine and 2 OSX machines, and they all get about equal treatment. Windows for rendering/animation (sometimes gaming) and the Mac for all Flash, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, DVD burning, (sometimes rendering/animation) etc.
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    No reason to feel bad SpaceMagic. If you have a real need, go for it. At least you turn on the Mac first. Maybe in the not too distant future you will no longer find a need for Windows!
  4. synergy macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2002
    I use windows all day at work.
    I have built a Wintel box and played with linux and windows installs.
    My employer has considered giving us laptops which we could take home to work on. Would be windows of course.
    But with all that there is still no satisfaction until I am using my sexy Powerbook G4 laptop. It just feels better to use. :)
  5. zamyatin macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2003
    I cannot imagine you have anything to fear. The Windows box may get some use, but it won't be able to compete with your G5!

If you install Linux on your newly-built box, that would be more interesting. Something new to learn (and good skills to have for the future). A dual-boot setup would be good, then you'd have the big three platforms all accessible to you.

Will you be installing OpenOffice on your Wintel box? No sense in using MS Office in this day and age! (

- zamyatin
  6. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Hey, thanks you've made me feel better. I made this box myself just for a mess around. I've installed Mandrake Linux 9.2 and WinXP and everything is working dandy :p ... but no - it doesn't compete with the G5

The BEST part is that I have it on the same sharp LCD monitor. There a button which allows you to swap input so I have 2 computers on at same time, and two mice on my desk .. one for the window one for the mac.