In a Major dilemma here!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Killyp, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Hi there

I've been running a website (www.boshty.co.uk) for quite a while, and the site was really beginning to gather pace. I was hosting the site myself (as me and the other people who run the site use our own server-side software), and my router just packed up last night. We got a new one, and for some reason, it doesn't seem able to force a static IP address, meaning I cannot use the domain name. However, the old router could.

The old one was a BT Voyager 210, and the new one is a Belkin MIMO WiFi/ADSL router.

Anybody got any ideas as to what I could do? I've looked into DynDNS etc... and I just am really really stuck now...

2. cblackburn macrumors regular

Do you have a Static IP assigned to you by your ISP or is it Dynamic by default?

Chris

3. Killyp thread starter macrumors 68040

Killyp

4. cblackburn macrumors regular

Well, if your ISP gives you a dynamic IP and you are trying to override it with a static one then you are on a hiding to nothing. The reason it will not allow you to set one is you have to have it as an option from your ISP. Normally it's a nominal charge like £10 a month.

Chris

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

If your ISP does not allow static ip, you can try out services like no-ip.com where they can configure your domain to a dynamic ip.

http://www.no-ip.com/