Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
I am looking at buying a wired in-car FM modulator as I want to keep the factory fitted stereo in my car. The reason is that the stereo is linked to the car's screen in the centre console and I have steering wheel controls.

Please give me some feedback on wired FM modulators...

How easy are they to fit?
Good sound quality?
Interference?
Is yours powered or standalone?
Would you recommend one in particular?

Any information would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
There are several after-market wired (not modulated) alternatives that will plug into oem radios and let them maintain all factory controls. I don't know what kind of car you have, so it is difficult to recommend any one brand. I know there is a company called USA-Spec (http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html) that makes adapters for many cars. Take a look.

MrLubeMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
Living the dream
FM Modulators

I have a Belkin and have had it for a couple of years. I really only use it now as charger. I drive through a number of urban areas and I get a huge amount of static. Also, I have to turn my car's Bose audio system up almost all the way to get it kind of loud. My car still has an old tape deck so, I leave the iPod charging in the FM modulator and plug in a tape deck adapter. Sounds great and plays loud.

Please keep in mind, my travels are generally in the northeastern US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.