In Case anyone wanted to know

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrMacMan, Nov 23, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I will probably be 'gone' till at least thursday...

If not till Jan 2ed.

My school my suspend me... and about 40% of my school also might be...

Weeeeeeee...

Has something to do with my school and their filtering software and a place to get around it...

Well lets say they tracked it to me... so:

I == Screwed.

More on this if I ever get to a computer again... :(

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Sorry to here about it, but I can't see them coming down totally hard just on you for telling people how to get around the filtering software...

Good luck.

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Suspending %40 of the school seems like an invitation for vandalism and dissent.

4. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    We have fired people for such infractions, but I've never heard of students attempting to circumvent district security at my school district...yet. An agreement must be signed between students and the district, including parents, specifically outlining appropriate use, along with punishments for those who find it somehow thrilling or neccessary to violate the agreement.

I don't know about the 40% you claim for the rest of the school, but if suspension was indicated in any agreement you verbally agreed to or signed, and you freely admit (at least here, anyway) that you were involved, I wouldn't "brag" about such things.

Weeeeeee?!

That said, keep your nose clean in the future, learn the lesson - and I look forward to your continued contributions to MacRumors.;)

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

As someone who was banned from his entire district's computer facilities for 8.5 months let me tell you this: you ****ed up. Live with it and befriend a teacher in a far-away part of the school ;)

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

or transfer...college education is a big racket, and if you treat your customers like THIS (as opposed to the customary way of torturing them with too many exams, shoving b-'s in their faces, and sending them on their merry way with a $100,000 piece of paper), these guys will start losing money.

what are they thinking?! what of tuition?! what of senior satisfaction ratings! more importantly, what of alumni giving rates?!

idiots...

edit: oh, I see you're fifteen, and you're probably in high school. Oh, they can feel free to bust your ass then. The above still applies, though, to higher education. The worst you'd get there is having your ethernet suspended for a month or something.

7. myndlinksw macrumors newbie

Yes, and suspending students and sending them home is a great way to solve that security problem you've been having. With no students to break the rules, there won't be any problems at all! Brilliant!

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I know one person who was expelled for hacking into the school computers. He told the head that it was very easy to do with software that can be downloaded from the Internet, but the head would not listen. So he hacked into the school computers and printed out some of the files to prove he had done it. He was then expelled for it.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

In my day the worst trouble technology could get you into was a sharp whack for photocopying your arse and pinning it to a notice-board.:D

I'd have gotten away with it to, but an ex-girlfriend grassed me up...:eek:

I hope they don't get too heavy on you, I think they need to employ you in the IT dept.;)

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Re: In Case anyone wanted to know

If you were in my school you'd be gone forever. Our internet/tech agreement is clear, and we have no compassion for the likes of you. Goodbye.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: In Case anyone wanted to know

ah, that might be a little harsh, but it brings up a good point.

Did you know that your actions, if caught, would incur disciplinary action?

D

12. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Heh, that brings back memories. My friend and I would swap monitor cables on our Apple II's.. (So whatever I typed was on his screen and vice versa.) It was some of the first chat rooms... :) The best part was when the teacher came over and asked him to see his program. I quickly had to load my code and list it to the screen while he pretended to type. It worked great and the teacher never knew... Ahhh Those were the days...

And I kind of think you guys are being a little harsh on MrMacman. What he did was maybe worth a suspension, but it isn't like he stole anything, hurt anybody, or damaged anything. Expulsion? I think they let kids get away with murder in other areas. Everybody is way to tense when it comes to computer pranks. :)

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

At least you have computers to hack with, all the compaqs at my school are broken.

14. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Ouch, 40% of the student population? What does that solve, by suspending that many students? I don't think it makes an example out of anyone, something like this does more harm than good in my opinion.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear about your supension MrMacman. It seems that since 9/11 everyone has become strict about pranks of any kind. They should try to find a way to compromise.

16. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Hmm well my school opened this Mezzanine with like 30 or so computers students could use during lunch or before or after school. Well one day they added this lab station on the side and it was supposed to be a teacher or aide, for a while, it wasn't staffed but starting second semster. One day I was interested in what she was exactly doign so I sat behind her and noticed that shew was able to watch every screen, sort of like VNC, and that if someone was doing something they weren't supposed to and she confirmed it she wrote down their ID and went over there .... I called her big brother and it became hobby for me and my friends to sit here before a nearby class and watch her watching people

17. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

it sounds like people are talking about two different things here, using a public (k-12) school district's computers to get around filtering software, and then there are people talking about violating a college's internet use policy

18. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Oh please. I'm so tired of that "Ever since 9/11...." crap. Nothing has changed except perception.

19. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Our district was strict about this prior to 9/11. It's behavior that is not tolerated...it's akin to vandalism.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

and the way darker skinned people are treated...

21. leet1 macrumors 6502

and the economy, and airlines, and security in the country.

22. myndlinksw macrumors newbie

Vandalism? You mean 'willful wanton and malicious destruction of the property of others' is akin to 'the act of evading by going around' filtering software?

lol!

23. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

thats pretty rough that they're gonna suspend you. when i was in 8th grade i got banned from the library for the entire year for hooking up 8 keyboards and 8 mice to one iMac. :)

24. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

LOL!!! Did any of them work?

25. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Perception dictates all action.