In desparate need of a new computer--make sure I don't screw it up!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bobert1985, Aug 11, 2005.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Tell me again, what did you do after you left the coffee shop with your girlfriend of the time... eight years ago... Oh wait, hang on, this isn't your life story... :D

Maybe try to keep the posts a little briefer please, you'll get more responses. Nevertheless, I'll give your questions the best attempt I can.

You don't really need an extra battery unless you plan on ever needing to go eight or nine hours without a charge. I haven't bothered with any of the cases for my iBook, but people 'round here swear by the iCurve. Maybe see if you can try one out at a local store or something.

I have a Brother MFC printer (9180 maybe?) and it works seemlessly with Macs. I'm sure you'll find the same with all of the other major brands. As for duplex printing, sorry, no idea what you're talking about. :eek:

The speakers, like all laptop speakers, are pretty bad. Having said that, I wouldn't bother with externals since you don't listen to music much and it's just extra junk you have to carry 'round with you. They're good enough for ambient music and sound effects though. :)

The aluminium is pretty scratch/dent prone apparently but it'll be fine in most any bag. Just be warned that dropping it will generally result in a bent case, which is usually nothing more than unsightly and disappointing.

Get Office, plus maybe look into downloading VLC for watching movies. iLife (comes free with all Macs) is great for organising other random stuff like photos, music, schedules etc.

Apple is great with stuff like this. On the same topic, maybe look into AppleCare (an extended warrantee) however, you can wait for up to a year before purchasing this so don't get it immediately.

Don't bother with a port replicator, it's a waste of space.

What's Joliet? Your Mac (once you have Office in particular) should be able to open most files assuming you have equivalent programs on it.

The CRT should work well. However, Dell makes some pretty good and cheap LCDs if you're interested.

From my experience, the inbuilt mic is just fine for voice recordings.

Now, I hope that's helped answer some of your questions. Good luck with the switch, you should love OSX, everyone 'round here thinks it's pretty damn awesome. :D

2. bobert1985 thread starter macrumors member

3. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Dude... Too much worry.. Like a diary or something :D

ISO 9660 can have Joilet something or other.. All windows stuff I think...
    Macs are very tolerant... I have burnt a disc of my folder on my comp and put it specifially as pc format, but the mac still opens it.

Basically, the ibook is fine.. Microphone is OK from my experiences. Keyboard is generally decent. Speakers are ok for some things, and music at low volume.

And remember.. Macs are only perfect WHEN sat next to pcs.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks for the more, umm, abbreviated post. :D

The Mac should open the CD's files easily, as epepper9 says. Just for the record, I generally consider the 12 inch iBook to be the best value laptop at the moment and the iMac the best value desktop. Having said that, it depends on usage.

Considering you're a student, I'd say you would love the portability and don't need heaps of power so the iBook is the logical choice. The iMac will be far more powerful but obviously constrained to the desk. The PowerBook is significantly more expensive than the iBook but offers you (as a student generally just using the thing for typing) no significant benefits.