In Disaster's Aftermath, the Buck Stops at the President's Desk

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Sep 5, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-outlook5sep05,1,3549669.column

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    that desk is one slick teflon coated contraption.

you stand more of a chance with a cheap carney midway game than sticking any responsibilty to anyone or anything in the oval office.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm sorry to say it, but to the outside world this whole sorry saga seems completely surreal. I've just watched a BBC team in a boat rescuing several families themselves, while 60,000 troops patrol the streets. What the feck is going on? Castro offering 1,100 doctors and 26 tonnes of medical supplies? And the "barge/explosion at the broken levee" scenario: what is that? Some radical solution to redistributing the population? And this FEMA horse-trader? And this jackass of a "President Bush" character? And Rumsfeld walking past stretchers full of injured to gladhand some officials? I mean, WHAAT??? Your country has gone right to hell. I feel for you.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

please... take us back.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Pretty sad when the rule of Queen Elizabeth and Tony Blair is looking good.
    :eek:

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Trust me, it's looks plenty surreal to most of us over here too.

At least we're beginning to hear some smart people -- including some quite conservative smart people -- asking important questions about the planning for and response to this event and what it says about our national values. It has revealed some unpleasant facts of life about the country that a lot of us didn't care to know. Some are still trying like hell to avert their eyes, but I don't think their allergy to the grim truths is going to change the way most Americans will read the situation and how it is still unfolding.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You forgot the President making a joke about rebuilding one of his supporter's mansion. Not the brightest thing to do while your own are dying of things they shouldn't be dying of days later. Most of them poor. People are pretty pissed here, but some people still defend those that dropped the ball.

Please remember, we're not all like that.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Absolutely.

I for one, am strangely optimistic about the longer-term effects of all of this.