In-Ear headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by floatingspirit, Feb 2, 2004.

1. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Anyone out there have the new in-ear headphones being sold at the Mac online store? How do you like them? Are they worth it?

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    anything is better than the stupid headphones that come with the iPod. The little black muffs come off all the time!! Still, I wear mine proudly - giving up comfort to advertise Apple's white colored sensation.
  3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    I bet they can sound pretty good. I have a pair of pretty good earbuds and if you hold them pretty tight to your ears they sound pretty deep and full, so if those in ear ones fit in even more so, they should sound pretty nice.
  4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Yep, I have them and love them. Much more comfortable than the orignals. Good sound too. I would say do it!
  5. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    You actually use those black things. I have only used the covers on one pair of earbuds ever. I love au natural for my iPod earbuds, my iEar, and my Sony Earbuds. I can't stand the extra friction caused by those covers.

I'd like to have a pair of the new inner-earbuds, but alas I can't afford them right now. Anyway I use my iPod with a radio much of the time anyway.

6. junior macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2003
    Has any owner of the sony in-ear headphones tried out the Apple ones?
    A comparison between those two would be great. For me, the Sony earphones have too much bass, but they're really comfortable and never ever fall off so I use them. The Pioneer in-ear headphones are a pile of cr*p to me, in terms of sound quality compared to the Sony's.
    I'd love to know what Apple's is like.
  7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I have a pair of Sennheisser MX500s, they sound better than almost any other in-ear I've tried, including the new Apple ones.

They're difficult to find, but well worth the effort.

The new Apple phones are better than the originals, but they ain't all that.
  8. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    they look like theyare pretty good but i have never tried them one i just hope that they are of higher quality than my ipod headphones the rubber that incases the wire is already falling off and i got my ipod on christmas
  9. Crikey macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    I got my sweetie a pair of the new Apple in-ear phones the day they came out. She tried them and found the bass lacking, the highs pronounced. I reluctantly agreed, but kept them because they are so small. Yesterday I tried them again; if you jam them farther into your ear the bass improves markedly. Still not enough for her, but I'll use them.

Even with the agressive insertion technique, I wouldn't say these have strong bass. This thread almost makes me want to try the Sony models. Maybe I'll get my sweetie a set of those.

Thanks for the tip.

10. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Houston, TX
    you should be able to adjust the EQ on the ipod to make more bass and less tweeter and that might make all the difference. Before you shell out 50 or sumthin dollars you should just try that
    -Hope this helps
  11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
    I have a set of Shure E series inner ear "monitors". It isn't that they simply make "better" sound, but rather they seal out external noise. A side benefit to this is that they don't have to be as loud to be heard.

One thing to note about these things is that because you can't hear a thing other than music, be careful when walking around with them in.
  12. Gyroscope macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2002
    I highly recommend Sony's MDREX71SL. 3 different earbud sizes to fit. Superb bass reproduction. Very good mid range. Also cancels lot of outside noise,so it can be listened at very low volume.
  13. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    I have a pair of Etymotic's ER-6 isolators. They bring out sounds in the music you never knew existed. But they're better adapted to classical/pop/jazz than rock, in my opinion.
  14. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    the apple ones are simply the best pair of headphones i've ever owned. (ive owned lots, including sony studio moniters)

the sound is prisitine, and when you get the thigns in right, they block out a lot of sound. totally worth the $40
  15. peteMG macrumors member

Mar 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    in-ear experience

I've had the Sony EX51LP for (I think) two years now, and really like them.

Excellent quality for the size, and they fold/coil up to nearly nothing, though I guess any bud-type headphones could do that. The best hidden feature that I've found about them is that on planes, they do a great job drowning out the roar of the engines.. even without music playing. I used to have a big pair of over-the-ear clonkers, and they seemed to just amplify the roar; I'd have to wear earplugs inside the headphones to dull the roar and then turn up the volume. These are the ultimate travelling pieces.

I also can't stand earbuds that fall out of my ears at the least bit of breeze. These stay in until yanked.

Sony EX51LP - I paid about $50, whenever I got them.
  16. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    me too; i have the E1 and the rest of the band has E2:s. the E1 is designed for singers and is very accurate, but lacks bass; the E2, however, is designed to be full-range earpiece for everything. the E1 takes the music more "in your face" than E2, so the E2:s require more volume.

so for ipod use i would suggest one buys the E2 rather than the more expensive models.
  17. sgtlmj macrumors member

Oct 22, 2003
    I have followed numerous threads about headphones in search of the perfect set. has all kinds of amateur reviews and everyone has a different opinion. You gotta own $100 Shure's or $120 Etymotics or whatever the flavor is today...

I've come to this conclusion:

Headphones/earphones are not like buying any other piece of electronic equipment. Everyone's ear canal and hearing level are slightly different. The bottom line is that you just have to try different things until you find something that fits, seals and sounds good to your ears.

Unfortunately, in-ear headphones are much like a toothbrush as far as cleanliness... You can't go into a store and poke a bunch of those things in your ears without getting or giving some of your ear nastiness. I don't know about you, but I've seen some of the weirdos who hang out in stores like that... YUK! (Apologies to said weirdos. :)

So, you must keep buying them until you find the "perfect" set. Most audiophiles have a headphone graveyard in the bottom of their stereo cabinet. Various sordid creatures living in the tangle of wires.

For my part, I find the new Apple ear buds with the small adaptors to fit and sound great. The old buds would cause pain after about 2 min, and I just couldn't abide them.

Just my $0.02. Sorry for the long post.
  18. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    Well said. The stock iPod headphones were very uncomfortable. I don't know about the in-ear models.

As for the toothbrush comment, I use the foam ends on my Etymotics and I find that canned air does a really good job of getting the wax off. Just a friendly cleaning tip (no pun intended) for those who own a pair of headphones that dirty easily.
  19. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    if you like the sony ex71 or even the new apple headphones AND you like your music to sound good, you owe it to yourself to try the shure or etymotic canalphones. i own the etymotic er-4p and they are better than any earbud i've ever owned and better than almost any headphone i've ever owned. they block outside noise so you actually listen at lower volumes, which is good for your ears. shure also makes a series of canalphones that are really good, too. and if you're into the whole white cord thing to let everyone know you're listening to an iPod, then shure's new e3c is for you. it comes in white and gray, i believe. plus, etymotic and (i think) shure have 30-day money back guarantees, so you can always return them if they don't suit you. the iPod sounds good with any pair of headphones, but it sounds amazing with really good headphones. try it!
  20. Foxer macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I picked up a pair of the new 'phones at the Apple Store yesterday. Do they ever suck.

No bass at all and the sound is just "empty" for lack of a better word. I agree with the earlier poster who says the sound improves if you stick them in further, but not that much. Worst of all, I can't get them to stay in my feckin ears. I tried all three adapters several times. They just slide right out. And before anyone comments, I have very clean ears.:D I will be returning them at my soonest convenience. That said, go ahead and buy -em. You can always return them if you, too, are dissatisfied.

Whoever said these sound better than Studio Monitors is, simply put, high.