In favour of the Console War?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ericsthename, Mar 4, 2007.

1. ericsthename macrumors regular

Hey all,

After having posted and followed this site and forum for a long time now, I had the urge to post a thread for all those who love the "console wars"

Everybody hates these mysterious monopoly loving, gibberish speaking, flame-bait targets called "fanboys" (who knows what their female counterparts are...). Suprisingly, I've never encountered one who would stand up and say: I am a fanboy ( or non-gender specific fanhominid).

Basically, when it comes right down to it, I love the console wars! I think that microsoft pushing Sony, and Nintendo blazing paths unseen is great! As someone who greatly enjoys technology, I find consoles to be interesting because they are essentially "cheap" supercomputers.

I think that for anyone who appreciates gaming to denounce one console or brand entirely, is foolish. I owned every console last gen, and eventually will this gen (not next-gen anymore is it?) too.

I don't, however, think that this should come between anyone and their decisions to question and denounce decisions by these companies. Often, I see people who post negatively about aspects of any one console on here, told off by other members for doing so, and sometimes with, othertimes without reason.

SO, this is the post for all people who like ALL the consoles, but arn't afraid to bash a particular aspect of any of them, to speak up!

360 - should've launched with a quieter DVD drive, and better control over parts suppliers. (Having multiple parts suppliers is blamed for the rash of 3 rings of death with the early consoles). Gotta love the number of games - quality titles most of them too!

PS3 - obviously the biggest target of the three, and sony didnt do it any favours by introducing a weekly cherade of promises and then breaking half of them. Whats up with the sixaxis, no rumble and a continuation of my least favorite controller in the modern age.

Wii - Radicality = 10. Bar none this console has the hype machine on a leash. Really wish they wouldve made it just a bit more powerful and 720p. Also wish they wouldve included at least a 5 gig, iPod size HD.

Fire away!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Point against it -

3 systems = games spread over each one. I can't just buy one system and play any game. Unlike PC (which is something people forget), one decent powered PC will play any Windows game so theres no worry there. To play every game coming out I'll need to purchase an extra 270+430 quids worth of system, that's the same price as my iMac!

I don't agree with that though. I've been with computers since I was 5 years old; Amstrad, Spectrum, Amiga... I've seen what they all can do. What I don't agree with and what I do denounce for it's branding is Sony with their PS3, how they BS their way along for a couple of years. I agree with the vast amount of backlash their getting for it too, maybe it will teach them to behave.

That said I'll be getting a power console in the next few years. Right now it'll probably be a PS3. though at this stage neither the 360's established library or the PS3's upcoming one has me interested. Halo 3 and PS1 and 2 b/c is what pulls me to each system.

3. darkwing macrumors 65816

You are forgetting one very crucial point in the PC vs console debate. A console is a console, and any game made for it will run on it. A PC has thousands of possible combinations of various software/hardware and often times you can't really enjoy a game for 6 months until all the patches work their way out. I like consoles because I don't have to fuss or ask for tech support on a forum where 99% of the threads are people posting their specs and frame rate.

It's plug n' play vs plug n' pray.

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

True indeed, and the last time I checked, Nintendo doesn't make games for the PC :D There's also the mutliplayer experience, there's nuthin' like it. Competition side by side with siblings and friends, can't do that on a computer.

As for the console war, I think it's a good think, it will be interesting what happens this generation. All companies have a stand in the industry.

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I agree with you on this-it's so hard to choose a console. I already bought a wii and i think i will buy a 360 to get my next gen graphics fix.

In terms of my comments on each console-

360- Gotta live xbox live. but i feel as though they should make some games on HD-DVDs and get a larger HD. I think that they need to integrate the wireless like both of the other consoles already do. (it really adds up when you have the 360+wireless adapter+extra controllers+games+camera, etc.)

PS3- interested in the potential power, but a price drop is necessary. Sony has to start showing us it is better than the 360. Needs more exclusives, most of the games that are coming out on the PS3 will also be available for the 360.

Wii- i love almost everything about it, but developers are getting lazy with the graphics, and sometimes the use of the wii remote (SSX blur occasionally has sloppy controls). Nintendo should have spent some extra money to get a slightly more powerful CPU and GPU so they could compete with the 360 more directly in terms of graphics. And they need to get online play that won't involve wii codes!

6. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

I know that consoles are more expensive in Europe, but here in North America getting all 3 consoles would cost you about the same amount as an average computer - not a gaming rig, but a decent spec'd PC. Now if you were to do it yourself, and spend tons of time hunting out deals, you could build yourself a PC capable of handling most everything out at the time of purchase. Then, you still have to think of the Monitor costs, which may or may not be an issue. In total, I still think that 3 consoles with good 1st party support is more economical than PC gaming.

7. bigg black macrumors newbie

the wii should not even be in the same comparison as the 360 and the ps3. the wii is aiming for a more younger audience and dosen't even match the other two. the ps3 as only been out for3 and a half months now and isn't doing that bad. with the Europe lunch still to come will be a big boost and the amazing graphics that it produce along with blu ray is a deadly combo. the 360 is a good system but has had a year head start and has had more time for games to come out and developer to understand the system more.
    With that being said i think that the ps3 will be winning this war and be on top again for a third generation of the playstation:)

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I very much disagree. Assuming you got the "real" versions of the PS3 and 360, all 3 consoles together would cost $1250. I could put together a gaming rig for far less than $1250, and it would be capable of running every modern game quite well. Even my aging PC, which I've probably spent about $800 on (and would be cheaper now), plays Oblivion on my 20" ACD at 1680x1050 on Ultra High settings (read: prettier than XB360 version) with no problems at all. Granted, I didn't figure the cost of the monitor and peripherals into that $800, but I had them laying around before I threw my computer together anyway.

Many games I want are PC-exclusive, which really emphasizes raggedjimmi's point about the games being spread out over 3 systems. Rather than just 3 consoles, the PC games make it more of a 4-way race for many people, and there aren't any clear standouts in my opinion. This isn't like back in the days of Genesis vs. SNES; back then, both systems had enough exclusives that you really felt like you got the full gaming experience out of either one, but these days the premium gaming franchises are so split up that few can feel fully satisfied on any one console alone.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

the flame war is gonna erupt in this one....

A little off the OP's mark but a big problem with this (and all forums) is that most people probably don't have all 3 main consoles, so you get a bunch of ignorant people who have never even USED the console they rip on (or they have the "I used it for a few hours at my cousins house and it suxxor"). So they just go by why 1up.com says or what their friend says or whatever...

10. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I agree with pretty much everything you just said:

Xbox- I love the Media Center and Online Multiplayer aspects of the 360 but Microsoft should find a way to integrate the Wifi and give wireless controllers out of the box. If the PS3 and Wii both have these features without added cost, so should the 360. I am fine with $50 per year for Xbox Live because they do have superior service but I think that M$ do nickel and dime their customer's too much...

PS3- The PS3 has a potentially superb library of games coming but the shady backward compatiblilty and inclusion of Blueray (sorry I'm not supporting any format until one wins especially with the wildcard of downloadable HD movies on the horizon) are really deal breakers for me. This doesn't even include the high entry price or the fact that right now many of the games can be had on the 360...

Wii- I agree the devs are being very lazy with the Wii. I think they were caught a little off gaurd by the Wii's success. I think Nintendo will be alright as long as they are the first one out the gates with their next gen console and it has HD/5.1 output and is fully backward compatible but I do wish they had put at least a couple of gigs of internal flash memory so that I could fit more VC downloads. I think the Wii doesn't have to be as full featured online as the 360 is but I would like to see at least minimal chatrooms etc for friends to meet up without friendcodes...

Also, I would like to see Nintendo team with Apple and add iTunes/iPod functionality to their console in exchange for Nintendo support on Apple platforms...I guess that is too much to hope for though...

I disagree, the Wii is aiming for every demographic. Everyone my age and older 25+ that I know wants a Wii. How is this a "younger" audience. You may be right about the PS3 winning but the Wii is already proving that it will sell extremely well this gen and they are taking away some of the PS3/360 market share. They don't have to win, remember they aren't losing money on every console like the other two...

11. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, part of the reason I wanted to put this post up, was so that people who like all the consoles could say, hey, I like the 360 but... or the Wii is fun, however...

I know thats how I feel about every single one, and I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately there's this attitude going around that you must show total allegiance to your gaming rig. Haha

12. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

I acknowledged that the PC was a fourth option, but you've introduced a bunch of limiting factors:

In order to accomplish "big screened" decent performance gaming, you've admitted that you would have to spend "about 800". How many people out there have the capacity to build their own gaming rig? I've built computers, and its not that tough, but not too many people will do that.

Secondly, you have to have a decent monitor either laying around, or you have to count it as a purchase. And then with changing requirements, you have to factor in at least a couple upgrades over a 4-5 year lifespan, so I'd say that in the end its not different at all really.

I don't want to complicate the discussion too much and end up with a PC parts price comparison, but I won't discount the PC as a 4th option either - I just can't imagine that there are millions of gamers out there willing and able to PC build on the same scale as consoles.

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Is this why a bunch of people on MR got a Wii? The Wii was aimed at a broad audience that includes everyone.

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'm guessing the Xbox 360 will win the console war. Its huge library which is about to get even bigger, its Live service, awesome graphics and fair price have served it well. I'm guessing it'll be close between Wii and PS3 (probably the Wii coming out on top by a bit) and I expect PS3 to pick up more momentum later in the year or 2008 if Blu-ray were to succeed.

15. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I would tend to agree except the 360s first year sales were actually pretty weak. The Wii has already sold almost half of what the 360 sold its first year...I think alot of this goes to the fact that the Japanese aren't and will never (most likely) support the 360. Right now, the Wii is outselling the PS3 in Japan, but this could change...

It seems to me that Nintendo is actually in the best shape though, as they don't really have to sell the most to win this round...Profits are most important, not sales...

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I completely agree; I absolutely love the console wars.

However, personally I've always preferred there to be two players (thus I only need to buy two consoles).

If this gen was reduced to Microsoft or Sony AND Nintendo, I'd be very, very happy. 50% of the market each. :)

17. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I didn't mean to suggest that PCs are the 4th option because millions are actively seeking to get to get PCs for gaming; rather I just want to point out that millions already regularly use PCs for gaming. World of Warcraft alone has 8 million subscribers; although WoW doesn't require a high-end machine to run well, most computers that can play WoW well are very capable of playing many other modern games. Many friends of mine (most of whom are addicted to WoW) have decent gaming computers, and because of this they are unwilling or unable to spend money on console gaming.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm not really interested in the console war...I have all three machines and I'm happy with them. If one of these consoles don't make it then I'm screwed...I don't have to pick a console....I get to pick three.

There is variety and I'll like to keep it that way and although sony and microsoft console are almost alike...they still offer unique things to warrant them a spot on the shelves.

Bless

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I love it....Sony pushes MS to make a better system, and because of the massiv e amount of money they both have Nintendo has to came up with that many new idea(which they do)

I doub't we'd see the Wii or DS is MS hadn't joined the games,it would have been Nintendo and Sony and that more then enough market share for both.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Microsoft / Sony & Nintendo are not involved in console wars (that mythical 'war & fighting' is done by fanboys in forums who are so insecure about their own purchase that they must generate bottles of FUD to be thrown at anyone who has purchased one of their designated 'axis of evil' competitors hardware)

You only have to look at this forum to see that in motion. Where when console gets ripped on by A, and then A will hypocritically defend their own backed hardware to the death when someone points out that it too has major faults. :rolleyes:

What Sony , Nintendo & Microsoft are engaged in is general Market Competition and that is always good for bringing down prices, improving product and creating loopholes where innovation can hit the market.

Exactly Sikkinixx. I'm sick of hearing.... "I played it in store and it SUXZ" or "my "bro has one and it died 76 million times", "blah blah blah would never do this"....

Or when people rip on a game they have barely played with absurdity that clearly has no basis in reality, and yet in the same breath will praise some other universally condoned piece of ***** because it simply is on their console of choice.

Its the Chewbacca defense ALL THE TIME and it gets mightly tiresome.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In a no holds barred, squashed up thing-

360- It's huge and loud. It crashes too often for me to feel confident about going out and buying one, especially seeing that 2/3 local machines have broke. The library? Nothing interesting me. I don't care for GoW, Mass Effect, Too Human and all them kind of games. Viva Pinata could be cool but it's the kind of game I could never play on a full screen system (I can't do that with turn based RPGs either). Accessories? When your controller costs the same as a Wii Remote then something is wrong. Bundle HD cables? Good call. Online system? Excellent, but it's free on the PC. I don't know if I'll be able to play an FPS on it though, I just can't use dual analogues now and get it feeling fluid and natural.
    Feels very much like a console. No web browser, no mouse/pointer. Very traditional.

PS3- Oh dear. This things going for the 2 year hurdle sprint. How can something so good be made to look so bad by the company producing it? It's tantamount to child abuse. A little too expensive now. If this was the same price as a Premium 360 then I'd buy one over a 360.

Wii- Best gaming system I've played, but... Oh I'm not going into this again I think I've made my points clear before. More internal storage space, cheaper controllers, better online system (maybe will improve when online games come out?), quicker boot times, region free etc...
    People talk about the PS3's potential, personally I think the Wii has more. So the PS3 can potentially render more? What about the incredibly exciting prospect of brand new gaming genres opened up with the controller, or previous genres made better, a la FPS or RTS. Couple that with the explosion of sales it's had and will likely continue to have with the casual gaming/non gaming market... Could see another gaming revolution like the effect World of Warcraft had on the PC gamers. A Wii Sports 2 or another MMO perhaps? When the markets large all a game needs to be is good.

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Good point.

However, it's worth noting the console market moves in leaps, then stagnates for 4 or 5 years; whereas the PC gaming market is constantly evolving. Hence, in 5 years time the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii will still play every single game available for that console, and play it well. In 5 years time the gaming rig you buy now will be very outdated, and not able to run the latest games well.

23. ninewhereman macrumors member

Thing I love about the Wii, is that I can play with somebody who never plays video games. My parents love the thing. My sister was playing tennis and bowling with her husband (a gamer) for three hours straight yesterday. I couldn't even get close to the system. My friend Morgan, who has never owned a video game console, said if she had the cash right now she wouldn't think twice about buying a Wii.

I like how powerful a PS3 and Xbox 360 are, but I don't have an HD television to really enjoy them to their fullest potential. I still think it is amazing how great some of the games already look. Can't wait to see them in a few years. I am just waiting for a price drop, and some games to go to that sweet 20 dollar range. Not alot exciting me about the 360 and PS3. Seems like more of the same to me just shinier. That is why I haven't been into gaming for the past few years until recently.

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

(begin rant)

Personally, it irrates the hell out of me that Nintendo, Sony or MS even TRY to play with that market (casual) because that means less stuff for ME, the dedicated gamer. I'M the one who spends thousands of dollars on games and systems. I'M the one who pays the crazy launch day prices, and waits in line and I'M the one who dumps my wallet on their junk. I don't wanna hear "wow! my grandma/3 year old cousin/mom/girlfriend can play it!!!!!!!" screw them, go play pong.

(/end of my rant)

25. applekid macrumors 68020

Wii - Awesome but still as a long ways to go. It needs a robust online community like X-Box Live. NO WII CODES AND FRIEND CODES, DAMMIT! The big, important games like Metroid, Super Smash Bros., and Mario must not disappoint. These are the hardcore games that Nintendo is about. 3rd parties need to understand gestures with the Wii remote should be more natural and not useless swings that have nothing to do with your character's actions. I think the Wii could easily be an entertainment center like the 360 and PS3 if Nintendo put in the proper channels and sold a special USB dock specifically for that task. Just an extra add-on, but not necessary.

360 - Will buy soon. X-Box Live for co-op and multiplayer games is still unmatched. The controller is comfortable for normal, non-Wii games. It beats PC gaming, completely. It may mostly be a console for shooters and sports games, I think the PS3 lack of early success is opening it up to more genres. Keep it coming. I hope there will be an updated X-Box soon, hopefully re-designed, that just is awesome and cheap. I'm more or less waiting for an updated X-Box before I hop on.

PS3 - I'll buy MGS4. I'll wait near the end of the consoles life when it goes for around $100-$200, and then I'll pick it up just for MGS4 :D Seriously, if X-Box 360 gets MGS4 (as the rumors go), I don't think there is any reason for me to get a PS3. I may get the PSP down the line, but the PS3 is looking to not be on my buy list for a few years.