in FL: Delays, Purge Hit Voter Rolls

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 7, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Shouldn't the Governor be doing something about this?

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I saw where the FDLE has set up a hotline and a window at their website to help deal with the problem. Anybody with questions about their status is advised to make contact.

They've been working on this since either March or early April, from a local article or two.

Lord knows it's easy enough to call a county clerk's office to see if your name is on the BadGuy list. The way their system is set up, protesting one's inclusion on such a list brings--so they say--reasonably quick action.

While I feel bad for those wrongfully purged for the 2000 elections, I remember there were national elections in 2002. If any of these folks cared, they've certainly had more than enough time to deal with it. 42 months, so far...

'Rat

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Now, that is funny! Thank you, skunk.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I wasn't sure if he was be facetious or not. Skunk, you need to use more smilies in your posts! I can't read you :D

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

:) :) :) :) :) :D :rolleyes:

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

but it also said:
    1) even when identified as eligible to vote, it can take years to get back on the rolls,
    2) there's another purge coming, and their isn't time, staff, or money to prevent more errors

i know you want to blame those who have been purged, but this is a system designed to work against them, including removing them w/o their knowledge.

afaik, i'm registered. but what happens if i show up, tell them my name, they refer to their book and then tell me i'm not in there? is it suddenly my fault?

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Forcing you to register to vote is the first step in taking your right to vote away. The last step is genocide. :eek: :D :p

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"i know you want to blame those who have been purged, but this is a system designed to work against them..."

Bat guano. You don't know any such thing.

The law--and plain common sense--requires periodic purging of the lists. Get rid of the names of the dead, the left-town and the crooks. They ain't supposed to be voting. You have a bunch of gnomes in closets, comparing lists of names and not caring about race, creed, religion or whatever. So much an hour, cleaning up the voting lists.

"...including removing them w/o their knowledge."

So? Do you know every time your name is added to or removed from some list? If you hear of the purge, and you fear your name might wrongfully be removed, do you not check with the county clerk's office?

It would be nice if none of us had any responsibility for anything, but life just doesn't work that way.

'Rat

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it is a system which, through its implemenation, removes and causes problems for significantly more democratic voters than republican. i think my statement is fair. if you read the whole article, you'll see a guy claim that the basis for the purge, formed post-civil war, was to keep blacks from having influence over FL politics.

i honestly don't know if IL has such a purge. what i do know -- when i moved, i re-registered. a registration card was mailed to me, a card which i take w/ me to the polls.

now, have i fulfilled my reponsibility? or should i really be calling every 6 months to make sure i'm still registered?

11. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

More dead Democratic voters than dead republican voters more than likely. :p

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

But for Tallahassee, much of NW Florida is still emotionally close to post-Civil War attitudes. Once you get down around Gainesville and points south, it's a whole 'nother world. Facetiously, from Orlando south, it's blacks, Cubans and "born in New Joisey". You're never sure if it's a melting pot or they're smokin' pot.

As for yourself, if there's nothing in the news about purges, you're golden.

"when i moved, i re-registered. a registration card was mailed to me..."

Providing a current address is what a lot of those in Florida haven't done.

If purging of the lists is occurring, I know I'd keep a wary eye on the bureaucrats. We've had list-cleanups in my county, but the population is too low for problems to arise. Everybody knows everybody else, pretty much.

:), 'Rat

13. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I agree that voters have a responsibility to check their status. However...

The artciel is dated June 7th. It states:

That means voters who legally registered and who have been informed by the state that they are legally registered might get a letter this summer telling them they have been purged from the record. By that time, it will be too late to do anything about it.

The "purging" process is ongoing and new names are being added to it. I have seen quotes by the company hired to do the purging indicating a very high percentage of those purged do not meet the criteria for removal from voting eligability.

Forget the Dem vs. Rep aspect of this issue for a second: this is a clear-cut case of a bureaucracy disenfranchising voters through sloppy and inflexible policies and a reliance on a sleazy private sector firm. If I had been wrongfully purged from the record and were informed of it after it was too late to vote in the upcoming election, I'd want those responsible held accountable. They know there are problems with the policy AND implementation, yet they don't act to correct those problems, or finance the organizations chartered to correct those problems: the local election supervisors offices.

Taft

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Agree, Taft. A pet peeve of mine about our system is a two-part thing: First, inadequate accountability; second, where or when it exists, it takes way too long.

I fail to see why "this summer" means an inadequate time to redress wrongful purging. Seems to me the courts could do something; obviously the Legislature could.

Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander: A class-action suit in federal court, along the lines of, "If we can't vote, nobody votes."

:), 'Rat