In Iraq, Pace of U.S. Casualties Has Accelerated

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 28, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'd like to know how many soldiers have died or been wounded since our flight-jacketed President told the opposition to "bring it on." This "High-Noon" Presidency has given al Qaeda many new targets in the form of our fellow citizens, but has done little to actually find the culprits responsible of 9-11. Maybe it's time Georgie stopped playing cowboy.

3. huntsman macrumors member

According to Bremer's Law, this is good news, as it means the Coalition is making progress and the insurgents are becoming more desperate.

It's a shame they didn't add the sub-heading "Iraqi casualties ignored". You have to read Robert Fisk's reports to learn of the stream of Iraqis flowing into hospitals or morgues, and the personal stories of those killed by either the Americans or other Iraqis.

This is just as relevant as Coalition casualties, because it's the Coalition that's doing much of the killing--our direct responsibility. With the world's finest killing machine adopting the "shoot first, don't ask questions later" that is the inevitable result of being put in such a dangerous situation, you can bet that for every American killed, there are multiple Iraqi civilians killed by the Americans.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's some great logic at work there, I've got to say.

If US troops were getting knocked off at a rate of 100 a day, I guess the guerrillas would be totally falling apart.

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    hypothetically, we will win the war once all of our troops have been killed.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Then will our vanquished foe be truly in awe of our dead army.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

All sarcasm aside (for the moment, at least), I thought Bremer came up with the ultimate spin with this statement: If violence directed against the occupation decreases, that's progress; if violence increases, that will be an even better sign of progress. Wow, I wish I'd thought of that. I'm in awe.

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

orwell would be proud

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

IJ, do you have a link on that quote? I would love to send that out to some friends.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think he made both statements at the same time, but it was only in the last week or ten days that he said that we can expect the violence in Iraq to increase as the country moves towards democracy. In not so many words, he was saying an increase in death and destruction can be seen as a sign of progress. I'll see if I can locate his exact words.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I found the quote in many articles dated December 11-13:

"My own guess is we're going to have an increase in violence over the next six months. The violence will be precisely because of the fact that we're building momentum toward success."

So, you see, it's a good thing.