In Japan, iPhone is old news

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kashimo, Jan 14, 2007.

1. kashimo macrumors member

kashimo

I have said this in other threads.

If you are in the US, maybe your are very wowed by the iPhone. To me....it is old news.

In Japan, iPhone is old news Newsday.com

So is the iPhone all what Apple has it cracked up to be or is it just reinventing the phone for Americans?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is basically a Apple branded Japanese phone for the "stupid foreigners" :rolleyes:

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I suppose those phones are easy to use? I doubt it. I have my doubts about any software for a phone or smart phone being easy to use.

Sure, there are plenty of multiple function phones, especially in Asia, but I'm betting they're a pain to use.

4. TJIrwin macrumors member

Ease of use is all relative at the end of the day. Most people in Europe and the Asian market have grown up in the past two decades with better and better phones, and have learnt and adapted their mobile habits accordingly. The UI of a current 3G phone over here may not be entirely intuitive, but it doesn't take a huge amount of work to get people to speed with them - Orange for example has a couple of phone gurus in each shop whose whole reason of being is to walk people through the features of their phones, introduce them to new 3G services, and enhance their user experience.

It's not a drag to view 3G video, nor to make video calls, etc. The only real advantage of the iPhone I could see is the vastly improved rendering of websites on the device. Much better than the standard mobile obtimised web pages you normally have to deal with. I think that is the killer app on the iPhone - not the ability to make phone calls!

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Asians have smaller fingers so it is probably easier.

Anything is more of a pain to use when you need to use a special dialing wand, that I agree :rolleyes:

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I think most people are missing the point of the iPhone. While its functions are similar to other smart-phones it has all these small nifty features that are implemented in a way to enhance joy of use and ease of use. And no, ease of use is not relative, at least not completely. Most smartphones I have seen, do not have ease of use, they do not have these functions combined and all the other features that Apple usually succesfully implements.

Think of the macintosh. Does it do something a windows pc can not? No. Not from a utility point of view. However, the functions of OSX are much more tightly integrated to a lot of people's liking, and that's the win for them.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't forget that Japan is years ahead of the technology curve when it comes to cell phones. What seems like a new idea to us has been done before over there.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm half Japanese and it doesn't make a difference. Pathetic software is pathetic software. It doesn't get better when your fingers are smaller.

9. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

10. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Can we say "fanboy"

I knew we could. Japan's so called "lead" in cell phones is almost purely in the imagination of fan boys. I have lived and worked as a software engineer in Germany, the US, and Japan(I even worked for KDDI) and the differences in the cell phone capabilities is minimal. Smartphones have been around the US for quite a while(though no interfaces like the iPhones), as well as in Europe. Fast data access? Ditto. Games? Ditto. Music downloads? Ditto

Maybe we shouldn't be taking technology news from a 30 year old English teacher in Japan who seems to consider himself vastly superior to us dumb people who aren't in Japan.

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I think the iPhone is revolutionary for reasons other than the ability to download music and TV shows. It's all about how the user interfaces with the phone.

You people are really missing the point if that's what you believe. It seems like Newsday does. Really ignorant.

Stupidest thing I've ever heard. People are not excited because of that.

12. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I travel to Japan all the time. Those phones in Japan are no iPhone. They are clunkly, hard-to-use phones just like everywhere else.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

We also have phones that play music, video, make calls and etc... but it's no iPhone.

15. babyj macrumors 6502a

The iPhone isn't that revolutionary. Sure its got some nice features and its packaged well but it isn't that far ahead of everything else, technology wise.

The big thing is that its Apple and its also an iPod, thats what makes it big news.

There has never been a mobile phone that has generated so much press months before its released. It even made the main BBC news in the UK.

So there must be something special about it.

16. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wait, you guys have had a Phone that could play Music, TV Shows, Music Video, Movies ect .....from iTunes?

18. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

That's us!

Anyways, I always thought it was common knowledge how waaaaaay behind the U.S. is in the cell phone market. And the automobile market. And the.....

19. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Since when does entertainment come exclusively from iTunes? I've never bought anything from iTunes and never will. But anyway, I can make video calls on my phone (a slight time lag but pretty good video) and the camera is 5M. But it's irrelevant because to me the interface of the iPhone is the important factor. Why the hell should I want the Internet on my phone? For twiddling on the train when I can't be bothered to read? I want an easy way to make calls; and the iPhone offers that.

20. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Bought mine from Japan and love it.....as small as a business card

[​IMG]

21. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

So it's light - but how easy is it to USE?

22. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Don' t you mean us Gaijin's :)

haha :p

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Gaikokujins, please :mad: :p ;)

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

外国人下さい。

25. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

ŠOl‚Á‚ÄŽ¸—ç‚Å‚·‚ˁH