in life, do you get what you pay for?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Mar 11, 2005.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

some examples i have come across in my shopping experiences (saving or losing 200 to 300% percent, or more)

rockport shoes vs. payless shoe source lookalikes...45 dollars vs 20 dollars
    iMac vs similar home pc hp/compaq desktop...1299 vs 899
    ibook vs similar home pc laptop...1599 vs 1299
    fender stratocaster standard vs johnson stratocaster copy...400 vs 225
    omega dive watch vs casio dive watch...1100 vs 350
    stanford vs university of cal grad school per year with books...30000 vs 5000
    coach women's leather jacket vs eddie bauer leather jacket...550 vs 250
    organic chicken vs regular chicken legs...2.99 vs 1.99
    foster's 25 oz beer vs 24 oz coors light...1.99 vs 1.29

2. jim. macrumors 6502

I take the attitude of sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. What can you do if you find out in 50 years or so that you paid a little too much? Does it really make a difference in the long run? By the way: if you go to grad school in the right field, you can get paid to get your PhD. Typically those are the fields you don't make a lot of money in anyway.

Of course this thread could potentially be really useful for people who are still trying to itemize their deductions in the US.

Jim

OT: Jef do you own a Gretsch like your avatar? Is that a Nashville?

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

hi jim,

that's a nashville western and i have never had a gretsch, or rickenbacker, or hagstrom

but i have had the more commonly found guitars...stratocaster, les paul, telecaster, ibanez guitars, yamaha guitars

i have priced out two gretsch models...electromatic hollowbody for 700 vs a nashville for 2500...the electromatic is built in korea and has dearmond single coil pickups and bigsby licensed trem and the nashvilles come with either the single coil dearmonds or dual coil filtertrons, and for a little extra, with tv jones filtertrons, and the original bigsby trem and these more expensive models are built in japan

american made nashvilles are no longer made as a production model and are all vintage guitars and fetch really hefty sums of money

i had a chance to buy a 1961 gretsch clipper, mint condition, for 400 dollars in the early 90s from my friend...it had the "g" cutout tailpiece and a hi-lo tron single coil pickup

4. jim. macrumors 6502

I've never been a huge Gretsch fan, but the Nashvilles have great tone. I think Brian Setzer plays them exclusively. I did get a chance to play a 1920s Gretsch acoustic and it was amazing.

Currently I just have a Strat and a custom PRS. I think I want to disavow myself of electric guitar and move to exclusively acoustic. My younger brother found an early Taylor in Nashville that I could get for very little.

Anyway, didn't mean to change subjects. It's always nice to find a fellow guitarist.

Jim