In line at the SF Store...

Discussion in 'Community' started by MoparShaha, Feb 28, 2004.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm sitting on the cold sidewalk here in SF, waiting in line with about 350 people in front of me. Theres probably about 500 people waiting so far, with 2 hours to go. The first guy in line is a father with his son, they've been here since Thursday at 9 PM. Hardcore!

I'll just pose this question: Has anyone ever stood in line for days for a wintel store? I think not! Rock on Apple! :p

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is what makes up Apple fans.

I look forward to your report MoparShaha. Any chance of posting pictures? Do you plan on purchasing the bag if offered?

Well less than 30 minutes now! :)

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thats cool ! And I guess it is really cool :cool: Do you have a warm cup of coffee with you ?

Really hope that you can share some pictures with us. BTW how can you post from where you are ?????

Keep rockin !

5. MoparShaha thread starter macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yesterday was very cool. I ended up waiting till about 10:45 to actually get into the store. Apparently, Jobs was late 15 minutes, and that delayed the opening :p. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a bag. Even though I was about 350th in line, the 250 bags were already sold out before I got into the store. The bags themselves were nice. They were about the size of a large Macy's shopping bag, all black fabric with handles.

The inside of the store was very impressive. I think the standout feature of this store is the glass staircase. I cannot stress enough, the whole thing is literally glass. There are no steel reinforcements of any kind. It was very impressive. Our mayor, Gavin Newsom was there, and our old mayor, Willie Brown, cut the red ribbon. I didn't see Steve when I was in the store, but it was pretty crowded. In retrospect, I don't know what I would have done or said if I had seen him. Maybe I would have just stood in silent awe :).

I was a little bitter about not having a store here in SF, but I think this location was worth the wait. Lots of people pass by it, and I think it'll do very well. On a funny side note, the entire time we were in line, people kept asking what we were waiting for. Busses would drive by, and everyone was starring at us. It was quite the spectacle. In fact, there was even a slight car accident because of us. One guy in a volvo was looking at us, and didn't notice the car in front of him had stopped, and plowed right into him. Luckily, there was only minor damage, and no one was hurt. The Apple security gaurds were getting a little tired of so many people asking what was going on that one of them started making stuff up. One woman asked this gaurd what was going on, and he simply replied, with a straight face, "Tupac has come back". It was hilarious, although she didn't think so.

All in all, it was a very fun day, and I'm glad we have such a great store here in SF now.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    they are the famous father son duo, they even went to ginza, i think they try to go to every apple store oepning its like their hoby
    thats dedication

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

dedication bordering on destructive obsession....

I think Apple is cool and all, but flying all over the country to wait hours and hours to see a store that you've already seen in tons of other locations? They have to be insane. Oh well, whatever makes them happy.

scem0

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i agree, i wonder if this kid gets made fun of at school. if i wasnt an apple fan i would probably crack some jokes.

iJon

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Did you have a chance to get close to Steve Jobs, MoparShaha? He certainly didn't show up here in Boston at any of our stores. At least he could have sent Jonathan Ives.

10. MoparShaha thread starter macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see him, even though he was there. I was very dissapointed. Like you said, I didn't expect to see him there. I thought he was too high-profile to show up, so I wasn't looking for him. The store was so packed that he could have been next to me for all I know, and I wouldn't have noticed. It wasn't until I got home that I found out he had been there.