Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garrison32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
I have an iMac G4 (the half globe one) 10.2.8

I am simply tring to record my voice to something simple like Sound Studio. Here is my problem. I plug in a simple lapel microphone (Radioshack) into the mic plug (next to the headphone plug) and go to my System Preferences and click my Sound.

I go to Input and then click Line In. I get no recording with my lapel mic. I then go to Apple's Website and find this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58022

So if I'm reading this right, I need a PlainTalk mic? What is that? And are there any other ways to record with third party mics?

Thanks in advance

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
if i'm reading that page right, it sounds like the so-called PlainTalk mic is uniquely able to access the mic pre built-in to the port. therefore, no other mic will work, as all mics need a mic pre.

i suppose this was apple's solution to the problem that the jack needed to work as both a line and mic in. just about everyone else in the world uses either two jacks, a combo jack, and/or a switch.

so if you want to use a normal mic, you must use an external microphone preamplifier (either a stand-alone or as part of a mixer).

Garrison32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
zimv20 said:
if i'm reading that page right, it sounds like the so-called PlainTalk mic is uniquely able to access the mic pre built-in to the port. therefore, no other mic will work, as all mics need a mic pre.

I think you are right. Is it possible to use a USB mic or something?

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
I've never understood why Apple do not have a combo socket with line and mic levels.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
howesey said:
I've never understood why Apple do not have a combo socket with line and mic levels.
from the info above, it seems they do. it's just a non-standard way of doing it.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Garrison32 said:
Is it possible to use a USB mic or something?
yes, once you investigate the digital ways of getting signals in, there are many other possibilities: usb port, firewire port, PCI card, s/pdif in, even ethernet i believe.

this thread has just started discussing some options.

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
Garrison32 said:
I have an iMac G4 (the half globe one) 10.2.8

I am simply tring to record my voice to something simple like Sound Studio. Here is my problem. I plug in a simple lapel microphone (Radioshack) into the mic plug (next to the headphone plug) and go to my System Preferences and click my Sound.

I go to Input and then click Line In. I get no recording with my lapel mic. I then go to Apple's Website and find this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58022

So if I'm reading this right, I need a PlainTalk mic? What is that? And are there any other ways to record with third party mics?

Thanks in advance
Garrison32,
Just saw this tread and thought I would add my .02.
Since September I have been using the SnowBall, a USB microphone from B.L.U.E. with some good results. If you having a hard time getting a microphone to work then you might want to look into some of the USB Microphones on the market today. A couple that come to mind are the Snowball from BLUE and the the CO1U from Samson. Hope this helps!

Kindest Regards,

Garrison32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
macbodock said:
Garrison32,
Just saw this tread and thought I would add my .02.
Since September I have been using the SnowBall, a USB microphone from B.L.U.E. with some good results. If you having a hard time getting a microphone to work then you might want to look into some of the USB Microphones on the market today. A couple that come to mind are the Snowball from BLUE and the the CO1U from Samson. Hope this helps!

Kindest Regards,

I just ordered the Griffin iMic and the Griffin Lapel Mic (to use with an iPod). I do want to get a quality mic to record in a setting. I video tape paintball tournaments, and wanted to be able to do some sort of play-by-play in post production as an alternate audio track. I do like how cool the Snowball looks, and after doing some surfing last night, I found a guy's review by him using the Snowball and he recited his review on an .mp3. Very impressive sound quality so I'm sold.

So may I ask what comes with the Snowball? Does the stand come with it? Do I need to order USB cable too? I also want to get the Ringer Shockmount.:D I tried looking on the Blue site and their dealers... I can't seem to find any info.

UPDATE: Scratch that. I got through on the phones and Blue Mic does not deal. I have to go through the listed dealers and those said dealers determine stand-alone or bundled packs.

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
Garrison32 said:
So may I ask what comes with the Snowball? Does the stand come with it? Do I need to order USB cable too? I also want to get the Ringer Shockmount.:D I tried looking on the Blue site and their dealers... I can't seem to find any info.

UPDATE: Scratch that. I got through on the phones and Blue Mic does not deal. I have to go through the listed dealers and those said dealers determine stand-alone or bundled packs.
Garrison32,
The ringer is sold separately. I just checked Sweetwater for info on the snowball and seems that there is a SnowBall Pac. Check out Sweetwater for all the info on the Snowball. Hope that this helps!

Kindest Regards,

TomG

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2006
I just bought the Samson CO1U USB mic. It's not bad, but I guess it depends on the use.

I'm sending it back to BSW.

For podcasting or "non professional" use, it would be fine. The sound is pretty good, but a bit on the muffled side, just a touch flat.

Also, there is a lot of delay when listening to the audio with headsets while recording (latency?).

I did a comparison between this mic and a Sennheiser MD421, running through an Apogee Min-Me box into the USB of a PowerMac.

The Samson doesn't sound bad. It just doesn't have the life of the Sennheiser. Also, the Mini-Me is powered off AC. That limits portability. Each person will need to determine individual needs.

I use this setup to record voice over for television shows, often on the road. I can plug in the Mini-Me when I'm in a hotel room. It's more stuff to carry, but the extra quality is well worth it.

But . . . for most uses, I think the Samson is a really neat piece of recording gear.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
TomG said:
Also, there is a lot of delay when listening to the audio with headsets while recording (latency?).
yes, that's probably the latency.

I did a comparison between this mic and a Sennheiser MD421, running through an Apogee Min-Me box into the USB of a PowerMac.
i'd suspect that approaches "no comparison".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.