in-line skating

Discussion in 'Community' started by question fear, Nov 4, 2003.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

So, I just picked up a pair of skates and am embarking on a plan to learn how to skate...anyone here know much/have any advice?
    Would also love to discuss the sport further with anyone who is interested.
    --Carly

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Get some wristguards before u buy anything else. I cannot tell u the number of times I fell while learning inline skates & had wristguards there to save me from breaking anything or turning my hands into beef jerky. ;)

Mr. A is an inline skating guy though, I'm sure he'll give some words of advice here soon enough.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been skating for about 14 years or so - kind of lost track. ;)

Eye is right, get the wrist guards. Knee pads are not that important unless you're really concerned about your abilities or you plan on jumping and other more technical stuff (get a helmet for that as well).

As for learning - if you've ever ice skated, that will help, but only so much. When I first started to learn I went to a large empty parking lot and would spend a couple hours just going around the islands, practicing cross over turns and eventually skating backwards.

Once you get comfortable, go to the top of an empty parking garage (3 or more levels is best) and skate down on one leg the whole way. If you can do that you're doing really well.

Good luck!

D

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Have they really been out that long? :eek:

damn time's passing by...

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree with eyelikeart & Mr. Anderson, safety gear is important. Get elbow pads, wrist guard, & knee pads In my mind the most important thing is a helmet. Head injury is a real posibilty and can be easily prevented.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Knee & elbow pads can be helpful if doing more "stunt-like" things on skates. In most cases, wristguards & a helmet are sufficient. If u are just skating for the satisfaction of skating, u will be able to stop your fall with your hands.

I've only had bad crashes when jumping over stuff or doing ramp tricks...like dislocating my shoulder in high school. :(

7. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

thanks for all the great advice so far!
    I plan on heading out in the next day or so to a parking lot if its nice, or a rink if its not...but i'd much prefer the outdoors.
    I plan on getting wrist guards for sure, and knee pads just in case...
    I tooled around my kitchen today, and was quite proud of my ability not to fall in a tiny space...:)
    As for head injurys, wdlove, ive had those before....not cool...but I also played rugby for a year and half, so I know how to fall and not tighten my neck etc which is why so many head and neck injuries can occur during falls.
    --Carly

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've actually thought about trying out rugby. A friend of mine was actually trying to coerce me into trying it out...he thought I'd do well because I'm small but kinda strong.

9. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

you definitely should...there are plenty of positions for smaller people...wings score a lot and are smaller.
    or
    you could be a hooker, so-called because you "hook" the ball away from your opponent in a bound "face-off"called a scrum. it's hands-down the bitchiest position; you kick and fight like hell with no regard for others :)
    but yea, you should totally play.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

sounds like fun though...just don't wanna lose an eye or anything...

no pun intended... ;)

11. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

nice pun.
    dont worry. you might rip your acl. or dislocate a shoulder.
    but never an eye ;)
    --carly

12. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Damn Fruit Booters, being a bike rider there is nothing more annoying that turning upto a skatepark and seeing inliners dangle there legs over the coping. I really wish I could belt them all!

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I bought my first pair in 1989! Rollerblade Macroblades (I think). I'm on my 5th or 6th pair now. But I don't do anything more than skate really fast on the bike path and pass most of the bikers ;)

D

14. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

wristguards, wristguards, wristguards! i shattered my wrist about 5 years ago, because the ONE TIME i decided to skip the wrist guards -- i was just going from work to home, no fancy stuff -- was the one time i took a bad spill.

also, don't be afraid of looking dumb at first; everyone does. go find a nice big parking lot and just get comfortable with your new wheels. are you near a college? i find colleges often have large expanses of unused pavement, especially at night, on weekends, and over breaks. not dorm parking lots so much, but definitely academic buildings. in fact, when i was in highschool i'd go down to the local college campus all the time. that's where i learned to rollerblade, to drive a car, to do some nifty bike tricks, AND to drink beer!

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'll have to look into that rugby thing then QFear. ;)

And Mr. A...wow...I guess so. I got my first pair 12 years ago, so it makes sense. I still have my Lightnings from 9 years ago.

16. sketchy macrumors regular

I just replaced my 11 year old Rollerblades.

I agree with all the above. Get some wrist guards. when your wheels slide out when you are power turning you instinctively put your inside hand down. Some of the old school wrist guards have hard plastic that forces your hand into a 'pulled back' position. Causing your body to arc of the ground. Though you can still spin around in circles until you hit the curb.. but your hands are ok :)

Old skates weigh sooooooo much. I was surprised when I tried on my new ones.

17. sketchy macrumors regular

Knee pads and elbo pads made me loose concentration. Most falls are either on your hands or your bottom. and you will know the moment you hit the first step, or take off from a jump if you can land the trick. That part really sucks. Especially if you are going down 'town hall' or 'museum' steps, or jumping tall distances.

I think I am too old for that now.

My second pair were rollerbaldes had the pump in them they were comfey, but feel like 20 hole steel toe combat boots.. with weights. The rollerblade logo was completly worn off from pavement.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Steps are so much fun, took a bit getting use to them. Then I hit some that were uneven - long tread, short tread, long tread, short, short, short, long, etc.

By the time I was at the end the first time my arms were waving in circles and I had managed to somehow not wipe out.

I immediately went back and did then a couple more times till any combination of tread length didn't matter.

Its all about practice ;)

Jumping with a hold or spin at the top was always fun too, but that caused more crashes - even with practice. I don't think I'd do that now myself :D

D

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That's about it. I was jumping a chair...cleared it the first time easy. The second attempt I knew I had too much forward momentum going, because I flipped & landed square on my shoulder. That was 9 years ago, and it still gives me trouble today. I just have to be careful when working out, as not to aggravate it. Also, taking glucosamine supplements helps. ;)

20. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I used to enjoy speed skating when I was younger. I can't count the number of times I wiped out practicing. Crossover turning was one of the first skills I learned. I had a really fast pair of skates too, with a really long chassis and everything. They were great. My sister borrowed them a couple of years ago and left them at the rink. :mad:

I haven't gotten a new pair yet, but I might have to someday. Rollerblading is fun, dawg! :)

21. sketchy macrumors regular

you know you're old when:

You know your old when you call it rollerblading:D

Dave