In my college acceptance letter, it said to be on the lookout for great deals...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattcube64, Feb 1, 2007.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

So, I got my acceptance letter to the University of Missouri (MU/Mizzou).

It said that come late May, they will have special deals on Apple computers. And that their prices would "certainly be the cheapest you'd be able to find," Because they are in special communications with Apple to buy in bulk. Well, right now they obviously have the Apple Edu discount on their site and Apple's. However, what kind of discounts should I assume will be available in May?

I'm going for journalism, and a laptop is required, with Macs being recommended. Any chance of seeing a MBP for $1500-ish, or 20" iMac for $1100-ish? Or should I not expect them to be substantial discounts at all?

Thanks!

For the record, I did see when the Macbook was upgraded to C2D, they droped their remaining stock to just $699 for the low-end model. -Just something to gauge by, maybe...

2. shecky Guest

shecky

the laptop i got thru my school was about 10% lower than "standard" edu pricing for the hardware, but the software was dramatically cheaper - i ended up with around $10,000 of software for about $1000.

3. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Our campus bookstore purchased core duo (not 2s) Macbook leftovers 1.83 Gh white book $699 512meg 749 1 meg over the last few weeks. Great deal. I imagine Apple has some non core 2 duo MacBooks and iMacs to sell.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think the deals come at the end of spring semester/quarter because some campus computer stores are closed over the summer and by the time they reopen the spring stock in out-of-date. So at the end of the term they will discount in order to not end up having excess inventory over the summer.

5. jono_3 macrumors regular

if you guys want to pass on the deals to mr memeber im sure it would be appreciated :)

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

UF is giving out free Windows Vista Business to engineering students...:D :apple:

7. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I graduated from MU in 04 (BFA - Graphic Design & Fibers), when I was there they had really good sales in and around November if I recall. I got a 15" PowerBook for $500 less then the standard EDU (edit - NOT DISCONTINUED PRODUCTS) discount and got a free printer & Apple Care. Stop in Brady Commons on a regular basis (it isn't that big of a campus to make a trip) they have some pretty good deals on clearance Apple Software too - I got Final Cut Pro for $79 then just paid $199 for the Studio Upgrade Apple just offered.

8. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Oh, wow. I used to live in Columbia, while my dad got his teaching degree through the military, so I know my way around the city and the campus. Anyways, though, it's good to see that I could get some good deals. Also, what did you think of their Graphic Design courses? I was thinking of dual-majoring; One in Journalism and one in Advertising Design. Obviously two different designs, but I'm interested in hearing of what you thought of the teaching...

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

but AFAIK the entire UF campus, is not switching to vista for a long long long time.

EDIT: talked with IT, maybe within a year!?

10. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

To be perfectly honest with you it has probably changed quite a bit, but while I was there some of intro or beginning classes (that are required) are lead by one of the following: a complete moron who is constantly pressing personal religious & government views/agenda, student teachers (you never see the actual professor other than the first day), or worse. But as far as the GD program goes:

GD1 is completely rudimentary/time consuming busy work

GD2 typography is highly emphasized (good to know stuff but not the best teaching methods in my experience)

GD3 (requires portfolio review) You finally touch a computer (there is no software training within the program - they do offer weekend PS, Ill, etc. classes worth an hour; I strongly recommend sitting in on them even if you don't "take" the class)

GD4 - Not great or bad; good experience with collaborative works

GD5 - Take it as many times as you can with Jean Brugenjohn (?) she is an experienced designer that truly embraces creativity

IMPRINT - Total waste of time, the professor that was instructing the program is a self proclaimed has been (that is giving her a lot more credit than she deserves) you are better off repeating GD5, doing freelance work, etc.

Overall probably a B+ experience - have fun if you decide to take this route

P.S. - My brother is/will be going thru MU's GD program - he is a freshman

11. mejalx macrumors newbie

Every University enrolled in MSDNAA gets most of the MS software for "free".

12. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I think so too. If I don't have my MB with me I always go for a Mac computer first. If that fails then I sadly walk to a nearby PC.

True.

13. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

? What campus stores are closed over the summer. Mine are open year-round, because they offer summer and winter sessions for those who want to take extra courses (or make up lost units), so the store stays open.

However, my campus is offering an extra $100 off the Apple EDU discount right now as a New Year sale type of thing. (They're the C2D models, btw) Also, software is substantially cheaper. I can get Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 for $200 instead of $1000+.

14. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Out of curiosity, why do you put free in quotes?

15. Hadley macrumors member

uarts in philly has a deal with an authorized retailer and students get about 25% off full price macs. and apparently next fall all students will be getting mbp's for class. which means ill be getting rid of this one in september.