In my first car accident

Discussion in 'Community' started by machobson, Jun 30, 2005.

1. machobson macrumors regular

Hey everyone,
    I was in my first car accident today on my way to Future Shop to get a Griffin iTrip for my iPod. I was parking and it was soo stupid i hit the car beside the parking spot that I was parking while pulling in. A future shop guy was standing right there unloading a TV and recorded the other person license plate and went into the store and announced it. Sure enough the person came out, and they were very nice, probably because the scratch was so unnoticable that you would have to touch it to know that it was there. No damage to my car. Anyways I left kind of shaken up but I got my iTrip and it works great! I highly recommend it. The trick is just finding the right station and it is super easy to use. By the way, I am 15.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

And you were driving on your own? How much experience do you have behind the wheel? I guess the min age in Canada is different than the U.S.

Not trying to put you down, glad it wasn't too serious and no one was hurt :)

3. machobson thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, its 15 1/2 in Canada, but you have to drive with a parent I was driving with my mom. Its alright I have had my license for 3 mths.

4. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

That's an first accident, my first i T-boned a van everyone was all good though only $5000 damage :)

5. machobson thread starter macrumors regular

Yikes! Glad no one was hurt. I guess I can consider myself lucky!

6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

My first accident was in 1990 when a person swerved out of there lane because the lady dropped her lipstick and wanted to pick it up and hit me head on into my brand new BMW 525i that my parents had bough me as a graduation gift. It was totalled and it was only 2 monthes old.

I'm glad to see no one got hurt in your accident and that no serious damage was done.

Its nice of you to report it. One time I went into a grocery store and when I can out I had a fairly large dent on back bumper of my Jag. I was furious.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^So then your parents got you another, right?

Did you end up getting that Range Rover? Is it good?

8. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I got a big kiss from my mother when i graduated, somebody's a lucky boy :)

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I've been in two accidents and its enough. I was on I-405 near the I-10 interchange/bottleneck that im sure anyone that lives in the LA area knows and hates around 5pm. Anyhow traffic came to an abrupt stop around Marina Del Rey and i noticed the truck behind me wasnt slowing too much. I woke up 2 days later in a hospital with a concussion, two broken ribs, a broken lower leg and a broken wrist. Seems the truck hit me hard enough to to send me in to the car in front of me, then over on its side. It was a large commercial truck run by a local moving company. The driver was found to be under the influence at the time, my 99 M3 was totalled, i was ihopitalized for 6 days, and after i saw the car and how well it protected the driver cage i swore by german engineering ever since.

The other accident was when these woman were running out of nowhere, i had a green light, i swerved to avoid and caught the second woman when i was swerving at around 25-30mph. her head hit the A pillar on the car wich needless to say is the strongest point of any car (teeth marks in the metal). I was found to be not at fault after the toxin reports, witness interviews, and investigation was complete. The accident was considred Pedestrian Negligance which is rare, especially in California. About a year after i heard the story from my insurance company. Teh woman i hit had found out her husband was cheating on her so she went to her friends house got high off of Marijuana and meth, and then consumed alcohol. Once high and drunk she had a great idea to confront the mistress and had her friend drive her to the house. A fight ensues and the mistress (who is high and drunk also) and the woman i struck with the car start running. They bolt across a busy intersection and thats when my car met with the woman that found out her husband was cheating on her. I still remember seeing the person laying lifeless in the street, i always thought it was odd that the other woman was given what looked like a sobriety test then put in the back of squad car rather than going with the ambulance, but after the insurance company told me the story it all made more sense. To this day i am still edgy driving at night, and i try to avoid driving at night hours unless its on the freeway or high traffic streets. Even though it wasnt my fault it feels horrible to know that someone isnt alive anymore because of their actions, its the ultimate in beign in the wrong place at the wrong time imho..

-Ed

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, it is lower here, just like the drinking age. In some parts of Canada the drinking age is 18, in other parts, 19 - having to wait until you're 21 must suck! ;) Mind you how many teenagers actually have their first drink when they become legal - in many respects the age limit is a non-issue anyway, now isn't it? ;)

Wow, must be nice to have your parents give you a $50,000 gift - I only hope you truly appreciated it! Was it a very prestigious college you graduated from, or a lengthy, challenging degree like law or medicine which you achieved? That would at least better justify such a gift, I'm just curious, that's all. :) Plus, I really admire people who can succeed in those types of programs, especially medicine (not sure if that's the case with you or not though...)

I think it's great that your parents are so supportive and such, but the only danger with things like that is what I've seen from personal experience - that the receiving person sometimes doesn't appreciate things, takes advantage of having things just simply given to them all the time, and doesn't have a concept of working hard, earning something and supporting themselves with their own hard-earned money. In short, they're spoiled and have so sense of the true value of things.

Now I am by no means whatsoever suggesting this is the case with you - the opposite is true most likely, because you know firsthand, like many of us do, all the hard work and dedication that is required to obtain a university degree. I am just speaking in general from my experiences, that's all - just want to make sure there are no misunderstandings. :cool:

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Good grief, man, grow up. EJBasile mentions that he received a nice car as a graduation gift and you're jumping all over him like he's the cause of all the problems in your life. No, most of us didn't get a brand new BMW 525i when we graduated. If that's the greatest tragedy that befalls you in life, be thankful.

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I got hit by the short bus in my first accident :p

my friends said they were tryin to take me into the fold.

if you don't know what the short bus is then just ask, but if you don't thats sad

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Good to hear that the other person was nice about it. Being involved in an accident, even a minor one like this, is traumatic enough without having to deal with someone who's being abusive.

My first driving accident was similar to yours, although I was backing out of a parking space instead of pulling in. I was driving a large van that I didn't have a lot of experience with. I couldn't see very well out of the rear view mirrors and ended up "bumping" another car. Although it only caused minor damage, the car's owner really freaked out about it.

14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Well Insurance paid for most of a new one. No I haven't bough the new Range Rover. I'm waiting to see what the RR Sport will be.

15. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I got it after graduating high school. I went on to Johns Hopkins University majored in Bio, went on to med school, and now I am a General Surgeon. I'm considering going back to Med School to become a Orthopedic Surgeon because I think that is an intresting field. I think I have worked hard to acheive my career and I work hard every day at work. I appreciated that car more than anything. Its not I like said- wo hoo lets see how fast this baby will got and I was driving erratically and hit something.

I'm definatly not one of those people (I know a few) who are almost 50 years old, are unemployed and are living with their 80 year old mother. The 50 year olds daugher has graduated college , has no job, and is living with her grandmother and the 80 year old is supporting everyone and all the people that live with her complain.

I know what you do mean about spoiled kids. My friends daughter when she was little got everything she wanted when ever she wanted. If she didn't get her own way she would have a temper tantrum. Now she is 15 still gets what ever she wants. She is also quite "snotty" to her parents who have given her everything.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree any accident tends cause a person to be shaken. The important thing is that you are alright and the damage was minimum. Are you going to pay for the damage out of pocket or insurance? What did your mother have to say? Hopefully she was supportive.

17. mpw Guest

I had my first accident 7hours after getting my license on the way to pay my first ever insurance premium. I got to the broker and gave them their £750 and a bill for £2,500. Nobody got hurt and it wasn't 100% my fault. Got back on 'the horse' as soon as I could and drove happily and safely for a year before getting hit with a renewal notice on my insurance for £3,000!

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Um, actually you would be the one who is overreacting. ("The cause of all my problems in life", where did that even come from?!? :confused: ) I stated it was a nice gift, asked if it was for a major accomplishment or not out of genuine curiosity, and went on to say how I admire people in the medical profession, such as EJBasile who, as it turns out, is indeed a surgeon. How is that jumping on him?

I then made a few general comments, and finished it off by explicitly stating I was not talking about EJBasile at all, to make sure there were no misunderstandings. And then the icing on the cake is that EJBasile himself responded and understood my post - if anyone should have overreacted it should have been him, not you.

EJBasile himself understood my point and took no offense, so I would ask you to do the same. Just relax and calm down. I was sincere in my comments, there is no need to try and stir up controversy when none exists. :cool:

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, and I gathered that from your post - the accident was obviously not your fault. As I said though, it's s shame when some people don't realize the value of such things. A girl I went to high school with got a brand new Dodge Stealth at the time for her 16th birthday (yah, nothing special, but still a nice car when you're 16!), took it for granted, and totaled it in a couple weeks, totally her fault. She didn't take care of it, and basically asked for a new one afterwards (which thankfully she didn't get!)

That's just bad. Do these people have no drive or personal ambition to make something of their selves, their lives, and personally accomplish something rather than supporting themselves through other people? It's just something that I don't get I guess. But, I'll save that rant for another thread... ;) I'm the same as you though, I could never be like that.

That leads to a lack of respect as well, which isn't good. Unfortunately, there are lots of people out there like that.... and in some cases the parents are to blame as much as the kids.

Anyway, thanks for the insight and your thoughts, I appreciate it. :cool: And as I stated above, people in your profession rank high in my eyes - it's tough to put a price on someone who saves/improves human lives. :)