In need of a good piece of advice...

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacNL04, Sep 10, 2004.

1. MacNL04 macrumors newbie

MacNL04

Hello everyone !

For my first post, I'd like to ask you, dear Mac Gamers , a few pieces of advice...

Could you advise me a good racing car game ? A good flight simulation ? Could you tell me if sim city 4 and the sims (soon sims 2) are nicely playable ?
    What about Halo ? And Myst ?

Concerning the hardware, does anyone know a good joystick ? And a good gamepad ?

Thanks in advance for giving me answers... :)

P.S. : My 2 recent Macs G4 have 1 GHz of RAM, lot of space on the HD and run OS 10.3.5 ... Strong enough for some good gaming ;) ...

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

depends on which G4 you have, actually...

if you have a 400mhz one, then you probably want to stick with older games, no matter how much RAM you have.

If you've got a dual 1.0 or faster, then you should be able to play SC4 and enjoy it...Don't know if Sims 2 will come out on Mac...it's going to be a pretty hefty chunk of game, and well...

3. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

For a gaming pad i HIGHLY recommend the Belkin Nostromo N52. It rocks, and now it's cheap. There's currently no such thing as a good flight sim on the mac. Feral is working on some heli-sim right now, but i couldn't figure out the controls for the demo...

BenPatient is right about the hardware... you're SOL without a dual 1.0 nowadays...

4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Halo-Halo for the computer is pretty sloppy. I mean I own it for my iBook, and I had a blast with single player, but it was very choppy. Now you might say it just my iBook (933 MHz) but it runs like crap on G5s too.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i find that hard to believe, how much ram do you have?, if it's 256MB what do you expect? turn on vertex shaders and that will give a decent boost in frame rate

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

How well a game runs and looks depends a lot on your graphics card as well, which you didn't mention what you've got.

IMO, Halo is a boring game. Get Unreal Tournament 2k4 instead.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Xplane is the best flight simulator ever. Fly airplanes, crash airplanes, and do what I did. Watch the giant B-52 roll down a very short runway, onto the dirt, sloooowly grind into the air, clip a tree, and eventually smash into a highway overpace due to engine fire and loss of altitude.

It is a lot of fun to play. If you get bored, set the malfunction rate to near 100%. ;)

8. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

If you think RAM sizes are in GHZ then you've got another thing going... and if you think a 1Ghz G4 is good enough for most games... you're dreaming.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Give us more information of your hardware specs. The processor speed and the graphics card, in particular.

Ford Racing 2 is on the way. There's NASCAR 2003/2004. There's Total Immersion Racing. There's Virtual Grand Prix 2. That's a few racing games.

Good flight sims include X-Plane, the Fly! series (but I hear they have tons of problems, so maybe it's not quite good), and F/A-18 Hornet Iraqi Freedom (supposedly good) should be on the way.

SimCity 4 can "run" on your computer. Will it be playable? I can't tell since you didn't most the specs we need to hear. It's one demanding game though. Can't tell about The Sims 2 since there has been no formal announcement nor any specs posted for a Mac version.

The Sims will run on anything above an original Bondi Blue G3 iMac. So, yes it's playable.

Halo is questionable since you didn't name your hardware specs completely.

And depending on which Myst you plan on playing, maybe. Myst and Riven are Classic games, so maybe they run in Classic, but I'm not completely sure. Myst 3 had minimum specs of a 233 MHz G3, so I think it'll be fine. realMyst much more demanding, and probably worth getting since it is the remake of the original and is OS X compatible. The upcoming Myst 4 requires at least a 1 GHz G4 and a few other high requirements. A demo of a level is available for download.

Let me just say, a 1 GHz CPU is becoming minimal and anything lower is utter crap if you plan on playing any current games. Vraxtus' comment isn't completely true. Depends on what kind of graphics settings you plan to play with and the frame rates you want. Vraxtus is a man with high expectations for games, so of course there's going to be discrepancies among his opinion, your opinion, and other people's opinions. But, if you want a good gaming experience, 1 GHz ain't that great.

10. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

To make things simple for yourself you should just sell one of your macs and buy a pc to play games.

11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I second that.

12. iNetwork macrumors member

EXCAUSE ME??

EXCAUSE ME???? :mad:

X-Plane is the best simulator in the world. It's available for both the PC and Mac. It is developed on the mac. I really dislike it when people talk about things they know nothing about.

X-Plane

13. MacNL04 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacNL04

Hello everyone !

First of all, thank you to all of you who answered my post...

I hadn't detailed the specs of my main macs, here they are : an iMac 17'' G4 1.25GHz, 1GB RAM, GeForce FX with 64 MB of VRAM, 110 GB of free space on the HD....
    A powerbook G4 1.5 GHz, 17-inch with 128 MB VRAM for the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, 1 GB of RAM on one slot (more is to come...), and 55 GB free on the HD (@ 5400 rpm).

Those are the machines I'd like to play with...I don't intend to do gaming competitions ( yes, I know, G5s are faster...), consequently I won't sell a mac to get a Windows PC (that was an unsympathetic advice...). Oh, and I already have a PS2...

So I'd just like to have some fun, and I thank those who advised me X-plane (http://www.x-plane.com/) as a flight simulator. I already had heard positive opinions about it, and you confirmed it. I think that the Sims series can also be fun.

Thanks Applekid for the detailed opinions about racing games, the Sims, Myst and Riven. I'll check in particular the car games.

Concerning the hardware (joysticks and gamepads), Belkin apparently doesn't sell in Europe the Nostromo N52...
    What about the joysticks and gamepads of Logitech (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/categories/US/EN,CRID=21) ? Any good experiences with any of those ?

Thanks again for your answers !
    :)

14. James L macrumors 6502a

X-Plane rocks, and I agree, people who haven't played it don't know what they are talking about.

X-Plane is actually used in flight school training in many areas due to its realism.

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The official requirements were released recently, and Myst 4 only requires a 667 Mhz processor. The 1 ghz requrement only pertains to the demo. Don't bother with it, by the way––it uses ugly low-rez graphics, is short, and many mac users including myself can't even run it.

Riven is my all-time favorite game, and I can say that it runs flawless in classic.

SimCity 4 is pretty demanding and it chugs with large cities and settings on high on my 1 Ghz Powerbook. But Aspyr is said to be working on optimizations with the expansion, and I think your computer will handle it fine.

16. GovornorPhatt macrumors regular

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Sims's has pretty low system specs. Plays perfect on my 2 year old PC with all details on high. It's a real fun game, they added a lot to it.

iJon