In need of audio help, please.

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Jul 31, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

This isn't mac related so I didn't think I should put in the the Mac Help section.

I recently moved my furniture around and found space to fit my turntable in next to my entertainment center, it's hooked up via stereo cables to my stereo but for some reason the sound coming out is really low, even at max volume you can barely hear it. I don't understand why though because when I hook my ipod up that way it sounds fine.
    Any clues?

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    a non-technical explanation: the turntable's output requires a preamp. most home stereo amps have a dedicated phono input that has a built-in preamp...plugging a turntable into a standard input doesn't work( as you now know).

you'll need to buy a pre-amp( they're available from about $35.00-to many 100's$$) to make it work.

edit: p.s..an interesting option is a korg kaoss pad...works as a standard preamp and also cool for remixing and sampling of records.

3. vniow macrumors G4

Some turntables have a built in amplifier inside and some recievers which have a phono inputs boost the signals themselves, what particular connection are you hooking the turntabe to?

There's different settings for tape/CD/phono/aux, it does make a difference.

4. vniow macrumors G4

It depends on the turntable, the one my parents have (a Pioneer) has a built in pre-amp so when you hook it up to the dedicated phono input it distorts it all to hell, luckily there's a tape input open that its hooked up to at the moment...

5. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

ok that makes sense, I looke up my turntable (numark tt-1510) and it indeed does not have a built in preamp.
    Any good sites to pick up a cheap but effective preamp?

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    amazon has one for 25.00$...radio shack makes one also. if you're looking for audiophile quality-i think grado makes one..probably expensive.

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-medea

You're receiver doesn't have an AUX in?

8. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Yes it does, that's the problemt though, all it has it that. Apparently Turntables require a higher-powered signal to deliver sound hence the need for a preamp. Thanks again guys for the assistance.