In need of help for buying new mac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ArmouredGuitar, Jun 19, 2005.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

I am looking into the 2.7GHZ G5. But now that I'v just heard of the new intels coming out, should I wait it out? or go ahead with the 2.7?. Is intel going to have any better features over the powerpc?
    Any help would be greatful.

~Thanks,
    AG

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If you need the machine now, buy it now. Most people don't think there will be Intel based Power Macs until mid to late 2007, 2 years from now. Even there will be brand new PPC Power Macs in people's hands, so Apple will continue to support them for quite a while (I'd say until at least 2010, probably longer).

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

When the Intel PowerMacs come out (in 2007, most likely) they'll be faster than the G5... but any high end computer in 2007 will be faster than today's G5, so I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Willy S macrumors 6502

Buy it if you need it, otherwise I wouldn´t. There will be a significant speed boost with the Mactels so the PPCs won´t hold their value as they used to.

Also, the Mactels will allow you to use Windows that can be handy if you need to work with applications that do not exist for MacOS X.

5. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

I have another question,

Do you think the G5 will get any more speed bumps before the release of intel based macs?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If they do, they won't get anything major.

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Apps will use universal binaries for at least another 8-10 years. Your mac will be very old before it cannot run things natively. In fact it will be a dinosaur. So get what you want and don't worry about it.

8. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

No one said that Mactels will be able to use Windows. I don't Apple will make it possible. Sure the processor is a derivative of the Pentium series (but not the same), but everything else (motherboard, buses, videocards, etc) are all designed for Macs, so a stock copy of Windows XP I think will not run on Mactels.

9. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

The Powermacs were just updated. If you need to upgrade get it now. We will see at least one or two more PowerPC updates for the PowerMacs, iMacs, PB before Intel enters the picture.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

bodeh6, Macs will be able to run Windows but normal PCs will not be able to run OSX.