Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerodoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Had some problems with internet tethering and called AT&T. They did something on their end and told me to restart the phone. When I did, it went straight to recovery mode (thanks a lot AT&T!).

The problem is that I have pictures that I would like to get off the phone and if I go through the recovery mode in iTunes, I fear I will lose them.

Is there a way to get the pictures off first and then do the recovery? I have other things as well (recent contacts), but if I can at least the pictures I will be happy.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Download TinyUmbrella (Google it), install it, then plug in your iPhone and click the "Kick out of Recovery Mode" button. Your iPhone should reboot as normal.

aerodoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Thanks guys, let me try that. I am kind of freaking out a little bit right now, fingers crossed.

P.S. the phone is not JB or anything like that, just a regular old phone. (3GS)

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't worry too much. It's almost (if not) impossible to ruin a phone because of a jailbreak. There's always a way to restore it. Yeah, you can lose data, but that's a hell of a lot better than having to get a new phone.

aerodoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Just to be clear, its not JB or anything.

This appeared to happen because of AT&T messing with it and sending some signal to reboot (or something like that).

aerodoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Used tinyumbrella to exit recovery. Took a while to reboot, but it worked!

Thanks so much guys. Otherwise I would have lost some data and would have been a very bad start to the week. Dodged a bullet there.

I suppose after I have the data, I should go ahead and restore it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.